Author Topic: Calling John 'spuds not in tyres man' Miller  (Read 1559 times)

suhayb

• Not So New ...
Calling John 'spuds not in tyres man' Miller
« on: August 05, 2004, 00:04:27 »
I just managed to track down the stups in tyres message (last post 8th July), it seems you are the only person to ask questions to   on this subject, (entered horticulture in the mid-'70's etc!)!!

What are your thoughts on carpet?   I have some up the side of my plot to stop the direct growth of 'weeds' from the empty plot next to me.

If thats no good hows about that weed protection fabric as an alternative.

I don't think I am going to be eating any of the trailing toms that I put in hanging baskets. I lined them with some green plastic designed for hanging baskets, but i bet they weren't produced with toms in mind!

I think I'll try and save this years grow bags to line next years baskets.

john_miller

• Hectare
Re:Calling John 'spuds not in tyres man' Miller
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 01:03:27 »
I'm know others have experience of excluding weeds from someone's plot and will probably have some insights too. My first thought is whether a woven material would be effective in stopping roots and rhizomes from passing straight through it. I have lifted numbers of potatoes over the years completely pierced by witchgrass rhizomes and they are a lot more solid!

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 10:14:16 »
From what I've read the general rule is hessian backed woolen is OK, anything else -rubber backed artificial &c. isn't. Funny they don't mention the dyes -which could be fairly evil.

Jeremy

rdak

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 10:16:13 »
HDRA no longer recommend using carpet to suppress weeds (due to chemicals involved in creating carpet and I guess subsequent carpet shampoos etc), but it doesn't stop me using them. Echo the advice re: not using rubber backed- it will rot and leave your plot covered in bits of rubber.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 03:40:54 »
This is not meant as sarcasm, and hopefully no-one will take it as such, but I do wonder if the HDRA shouldn't, and will, re-visit their position on growing plants in tyres,  at some point in the future.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 03:43:26 by john_miller »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal