Author Topic: wind break  (Read 1364 times)

staris

• Acre
wind break
« on: June 29, 2008, 14:44:42 »
my allotment plot at one end face out onto a field, currently there are a load of brambles bushes which do give a bit of protection from the wind, i'm thinking of cutting them out and replacing them with something else to stop the wind.
i'm thinking of using hawthorn unless there is something that would be better, preferably fast growing.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: wind break
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 16:24:15 »
Hawthorn and Blackthorn have vicious spines which can cause infected wounds. (also punctures in wheelbarrow / bike). I use Globe Artichokes as an edible windbreak, also good for bees if left to flower.
rgds, Tony ;)
You couldn't make it up!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 20:05:00 »
Or something inanimate like debris netting?

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 23:10:24 »
I've been meaning to try willow as a long term project. Haven't got round to it yet but it might be something to think about. My original idea was to buy willow plants to grow, and either make a living windbreak, or cut it and manufacture one à la wicker basket.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 23:19:03 »
Just took this pic of the willow fedge around our composting toilet.

[attachment=1]

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 00:11:22 »
Very nice Ceres, our fedge at the farm took a beating from willow aphid last year only half has recovered. And our compost loo isnt completed yet due to lack of materials and funds :(

But we WILL get there :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 00:26:50 »
You will!  Our loo took around 2 years, mainly because it was done in everyone's not-so-spare time but we got there.

Didn't know about willow aphid.  There's a bug for every single plant, isn't there?  Will have to keep my eyes open. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal