Author Topic: Winter greenhouse.  (Read 2385 times)

medicinejack

• Not So New ...
Winter greenhouse.
« on: June 29, 2008, 13:56:07 »
Just got hold of my first greenhouse. Could anyone give me some advice on what I can grow in it for the rest of the summer and over the winter?

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Winter greenhouse.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 21:37:39 »
It's a bit late in the season really.  Tomatoes, cucumbers, etc should be well established by now, but if you can get plants of either, you should still be able to get a crop.  You can also grow salad leaves, spring onions, radish etc.

With regard to Winter growing, we tend to 'shut down' from November to January, when we start sowing seeds for the next season.  It's extremely expensive to heat a greenhouse in Winter.

BTW what size is your greenhouse mj?

valmarg

medicinejack

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 21:47:18 »
Thanks valmarg,

I'll try to get some plants and put some salad leaves in.

It's 9x8, and I have been given two paraffin heaters, but it's probably not worth taking on a Welsh Valley's winter.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 22:08:23 »
It's a good size greenhouse.

I hate to be negative when it comes to 'growing your own', but you are somewhat unfortunate in having acquired your greenhouse 'between seasons'.  You are a bit too late for this year, and much too early for next.

Still, if it's any consolation, you have plenty of time to plan for next season. ;D

valmarg

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 13:22:48 »
I have a large list of veg for autumn/winter greenhouse production, will try to post it for you! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 14:04:44 »
Yes - so many of the things that have been suggested for outdoors recently are OK for the greenhouse. But I would save the g/h for things like Winter Lettuce, Carrots, delicate Herbs, Potatoes.......

http://gardening.savvy-cafe.com/crops-for-winter-greenhouse-vegetable-gardening-2006-12-05/

http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/growing_show_vegetables_1/winter_crops_greenhouse.php

etc, etc!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 17:55:03 »
Over wintering autumn sown sweet pea plants ,no heat needed.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 21:45:29 »
Starting soon you can sow Winter Density or similar winter lettuce. Last year using a greenhouse I had lettuce for nearly every week of the year - I just missed out by three weeks in April. You could also grow spring onions.

Once you get to January you can start all Spring sown crops such as Broad Beans and cabbages so that they are big strong plants ready to go in once frosts stop.

medicinejack

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 11:59:05 »
Thanks all. I'm going to be busy, but it'll be worth it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal