Author Topic: Novice  (Read 1359 times)

David Roberts

Novice
« on: June 26, 2008, 18:01:20 »
Hello everyone, I'm new here so please be gentle  ;D. I haven't got an allotment yet (on the waiting list) but would like to do some research so it's not going to be so daunting when I do get one. Can anyone please give me some pointers regarding planning of an allotment? I envisage growing salady stuff, greens, potatoes and onions initially.
Thank you in advance all.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Novice
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 18:04:18 »
This might help;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Planning/Planning.htm

Then go to the 'Index' page and look under planners.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 18:06:55 »
hi, David, nice to meet you, don't worry, everyone on here is helpful and friendly , mental, but friendly  ;D

David Roberts

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 18:11:36 »
Thanks for that Tee Gee - that looks very helpful. Hiya to you and manicscousers too  :D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 18:13:47 »
Yo David, welcome to the 'hood!

banshee

• Half Acre
  • Watched over by Nya
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 18:18:54 »
Hello there David and welcome from me too. Hope you enjoy your time here and find it as friendly and informative as I have.  :)
 Like you I too am waiting for a plot to become available, so in the mean time I'm growing what I can in pots and 'patches' around my garden in the hope that I can learn something about what to do and what not to do when growing veg.
Little garden plot, tended by faeiries, eaten by snails............

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 20:33:41 »
Welcome to the site David... common name that, esp. in us 40 somethings... hence the tag...  ;D

David Roberts

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 07:57:33 »
Cheers for all the advice and greetings  ;) - I'm looking forward to being able to move away from growing tomatoes in my backyard!

shambasarfi

• Quarter Acre
  • Growing vegetables in our back garden
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 13:27:42 »
Hi David,

Don't worry about anything.  My partner and I have just taken on a large allotment and on one side of us is a lovely gentleman who's had his plot for 25 years and on the other another gent who's had his for 15.  I find that if you are friendly towards your neighbours they are very helpful and friendly towards you and have some valuable help and information to offer you.

Regarding planting - I just looked at all the vegetable seed packets and bought whatever said the seeds could still be planted outside in June.  Granted you are limited as most seeds need to be planted much earlier but you can start off slowly and build up from there.

I hope you get an allotment soon as you are obviously keen.  We were on a waiting list for about 9 months.

"Shamba" means garden and "sarfi" means posh or clean in Kiswahili.  So I have called myself Posh Garden!!  They put their adjectives after the noun.

When a man tries to drown his sorrows he generally makes his head swim!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 19:57:27 »
Hi and welcome.   (You could sow salad crops in containers, tubs or window boxes now if you like as they can be fast growing.)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal