Author Topic: Pepper Site  (Read 2156 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Pepper Site
« on: August 04, 2004, 12:55:29 »
Just been browsing this site, quite interesting for the pepper growers out there!
http://www.chili-pepper-plants.com/html/chili_peppers.html
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Pepper Site
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 13:55:51 »
ooo, added to my faves for night time reading.  ;D

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 14:05:22 »
Me too  ;D
Checked my chilli babies this morning before work and they are growing so lovely after i nearly kileld them!  :-[ I went mad and sprayed the with washing up liquid for the aphids and all of the leaves droped off!
I am so proud they have recovered and are growing so well! Piccy to follow i think!
Jemma xxx ;)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 18:06:07 »
Why night-time reading, I wonder? Saves on electricity I suppose.

Good reading, Doris. Another, which is my favourite because it's English, is chillies.net. If you can do it in North Staffs, you can do it! But I DO wish people would concentrate on flavour, rather than looking for the ultimate bud-blaster. So much for the many delicate flavours that one puts into a dish. (Hobbyhorse!!). = Tim

Oh - washing-up liquid? It was never intended for use on plants, so one uses it at ones own risk. But a useful example of what can happen.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 18:07:28 by tim »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 19:06:35 »
Tim, or anyone else out there, a question I haven't seem to be able to find an answer to anywhere is.......Will peppers ripen off the vine? Specifically bell ones? We love red ones, but not too keen on the green, and as my crop for the first year EVER looks like it may amount to something, can I pick some and ripen away from the parent, or do I have to leave them on?

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 21:35:02 »
Sorry, but no, Doris. There may be a minor development of  colour but this will be due more to cellular breakdown and oxidation rather than ripening. Then they will just go soft.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 22:07:22 »
Oh RATS, but thank you John anyway, I guess they will have to stay on the vine!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 09:24:47 »
One of the great tests of patience in the veggie kingdom - talk about your green tomatoes, they're speedy gonzalez compared with peppers.  And when they do start to turn, it slows up the production of more fruit, I believe. So it might be profitable to have plants dedicated to each colour??

Pic1 1July  5 fruit - green
Pic2 5Aug  14 fruit - green!! = Tim

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 10:09:01 »
beautiful peps tim!
Jemma x

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 18:17:04 »
Me too  ;D
Checked my chilli babies this morning before work and they are growing so lovely after i nearly kileld them!  :-[ I went mad and sprayed the with washing up liquid for the aphids and all of the leaves droped off!
I am so proud they have recovered and are growing so well! Piccy to follow i think!
Jemma xxx ;)

For those who didn't read an earlier thread about using soap against aphids: washing up liquid is usually a detergent, not soap! Best to use an old fashiod soap, like the soft kind you get in a tub.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal