Author Topic: Suttons + Dobies - One and the same??  (Read 4614 times)

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
Suttons + Dobies - One and the same??
« on: August 04, 2004, 12:47:53 »
I got the Dobies catalogue through and it is the same as the suttons one (with different name on the front obviously!).  How disapointing.  Why are they called different names? I wanted a whole new catalogue to read and am v disappointed! Can anyone confirm/explain??
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
Re:Suttons + Dobies - One and the same??
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 14:02:55 »
can't confirm but i was thinkng exactly the same!
Jemma

Lillypad

• Quarter Acre
  • Harrogate
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 14:44:20 »
Suttons have a lovely history page on their website. Apparently they are now part of the Vilmorin group. I looked up Vilmorin on the Web and found both Dobies and Suttons listed as subsideries under the name Suttons, so yes they're one and both the same. The fact that they're both based in Paignton's  bit of a giveaway too. It's a real shame when these old established companies get taken over but why continue to trade under their different names? Incidentally, Ferndale Lodge is also a Vilmorin subsidery.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 15:50:31 »
Hope it's not a foreign 'takeover'? = Tim

Lillypad

• Quarter Acre
  • Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 15:57:07 »
Apparently it's an international company - the largest packet seed distributors in the world (according to Suttons). Originally French & one of the co-founders wrote about turnips!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal