Author Topic: Light or heat?  (Read 878 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Light or heat?
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:05:57 »
Both my greenhouses are lean-to and partly shaded by trees so don't get as much light as I would like, but they are also both quite small so keep the heat well.I was wondering whether light and heat are equally important. I'm growing toms, peppers and aubergines. Was thinking of covering the non-glazed walls with silver foil to reflect light. Do you think this would be worth it,or would it reflect heat too and lead to too much heat?

Just realised this should be in "under glass" but can't move it.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Light or heat?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:29:42 »
you always want a bit of shade when it is scorching hot but right now as temperatures seem to be staying low as well as light levels also staying low (when we really need them both to improve) then reflection would be a good idea - maybe something you can put up and take down easily

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 13:57:19 »
I've got no idea where I read this so I might be making it up, but I think heat is important for tomatoes (as well as light) as it helps to make them sweeter - just as a good feed helps to improve the tomatoey (I think that's the scientific term) flavour.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 15:02:52 »
I've got no idea where I read this so I might be making it up, but I think heat is important for tomatoes (as well as light) as it helps to make them sweeter - just as a good feed helps to improve the tomatoey (I think that's the scientific term) flavour.
The flip side, too much heat and they stop setting flowers or is it they stop setting fruit. One or the other. That is why here where I live, they don't produce very well in the dead heat of August sometimes, then get a second wind as we approach Fall. But I believe they are far more productive with lots of sun.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 17:10:15 »
Certainly not much light or heat about here today. :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal