Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Raised Beds

(1/5) > >>

Mimi:
Had my first days work in at the allotment today. It was gorgeous,  sunny and cold,  perfect for making a start. I have been a good girl and covered 1/2 the plot with landscaping fabric rather than old carpet as originally planned(after advice from others).  Have marked out where the raised beds are going, but just needed to know if I need to dig the soil which will be at the bottom of the raised beds.  Im very into the idea of dig as little as needed .The council may have rotovated my plot and the two either side last summer when the allotments where created.  Also have unlimited horse manure from local stable which has two types  :o and there was me thinking that there is only one  :) They  have poo with straw or poo with shavings.  Now which to choose ::) The chap in the stables says it is at least 3 months old.  Is this too fresh.  Simple questions I know but I have to start somewhere. :)Any advice would be appreciated.   Cheers.

tim:
Can't find the thread on the subject, in which I asked for confirmation on this (tell me where someone?),  but I believe straw is best. We can only get shavings.
You will also see thoughts on 'ripeness - I would think 3 months much too young! There should be no sign of straw, and it should be sweet-smelling and friable. = Tim

Muddy_Boots:
Hi Mimi,

With Tim here, straw over shavings anytime, much quicker to break down.  Three months definitely too young, will burn.  A year is best, if you can get it or have somewhere to store it until it breaks down.  As Tim says, it should appear free of straw and just friable like good loam, still pongs though ;D

Kate

Doris_Pinks:
Mimi, I would say straw over shavings........think I read somewhere that shavings are more acidic? Someone out there will know! 3 months is way too young, leave it in a pile somewhere and let it mature nicely!  
I have just put in a raised bed and have double dug it to give it it's best start! I would say it depends on the height of your bed as to wether you need to dig or not! (and also where are you going to get the soil from to fill them?) Mine has loosened bottom soil, layer of manure, more soil, then manure forked into that soil, which has raised the bed to the correct height for me. ( if the council have rotivated your plot, you may have untold weeds lurking, and double digging helps you to see the roots and oik them out)  Hope this helps!! DP

tim:
OK - you may all relax - 'Garden Clinic' on the beeb's site - 'horse manure' - just love the bit about shavings from a rocking horse?? = Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version