Author Topic: Break-ins and thefts  (Read 7107 times)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
Break-ins and thefts
« on: June 25, 2008, 19:35:11 »
Very disheartening article on the Midlands news tonight - allotments in Cheslyn Hay (S.Staffs) broken in to so that people could pinch the veg. Blamed on rising food prices. 

time to get a shot gun and fortify your shed  ::)

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Break-ins and thefts
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 22:50:12 »
Yes, when you have taken the time and trouble to grow crops, only to find some revolting little toerag has deprived you of your labour/crops, it is so disheartiing.

I think that all allotmenteers will need to be watchful in the future.  A sad indictment of today's society :'( :'( :'(

valmarg

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 23:15:32 »
Hello

It's a sad world what's happening nothing is safe anymore, about a month ago the old boy at the end of the road was on his way home from the allotments and he got robbed nicked his all his tools and wheelbarrow basically his world in wheelbarrow i see him everyday going back and forth with his wheelbarrow, So his daughter got him all new stuff and he has now a panic alarm but he don't seem his chirpy self. Some people shoud get a life.

Like today i was in asda's and there was 2 people at each others throats over a bunch of carrots... ???...why ???

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 06:48:21 »
I mentioned this in a previous topic earlier this year.  That theft of allotment food would increase from late autumn for winter veg due to higher shop prices.    Was not expecting it so soon,  but then again - nobody was expecting price hikes like we are currently seeing.    Not a good sign of things to come :( 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:56:41 »
well, they've told everybody on the tv now so that'll give some more people ideas, watch your squash and onions  ???

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:31:08 »
Yes, A TRULY BIG THANK YOU TO THE BBC.  I couldn't believe how they were pretty well putting the idea into people's minds. Not too much said about how much time, energy and money is put into allotment veg, and that they would be trespassing. Just a couple of chaps (stereotypes) who had lost a few onions and a joke about the name.  Why didn't they steer the thieves towards the fields of veg that are grown for the supermarkets (there are still some in the UK)?

There is already enough vandalism and stealing on allotments, without encouraging more.  If it's easy to nick a couple of carrots and a cabbage they won't stop at the one time. It will then become a habit and will then be taken for granted.

It makes me particularly angry, because these people possibly have gardens already, and with a little encouragement could grow their own. I know a lot of people who have courtyard gardens and their fruit and veg are incredible.  And most allotmenteers share their produce between family and friends, and those who are less fortunate as well.

Rant over ...  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:42:42 »
 :o >:(

Lordy! Just reading this thread and Asbean's latest post, seems that car boot sales will be the places to buy cheap veggies, alongside the other knock-off stuff?

I don't have a television, so didn't know...

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 12:51:09 »
What I find staggering is how they know about veggies in the first place!  One wouldn't necessarily expect these louts to know about different veggies and the like!  I mean they don't come out of a packet from the supermarket!

I personally don't think that people are that short of money that they have to steal vegetables.  I think it is a personal choice and they probably eat them with fillet steak!

DOH!!

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 13:24:26 »
Would not say it was the genuine people who need the food nicking it.  Just some low life tea leafs trying to make a fast buck.  Do not think they would know where to start when came to raw beetroot.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 13:49:24 »
I really really wish this wasn't the case, but there's only one group of people who would nick home grown food & know what to do with it. And it's not "low life doleys" - they wouldn't know what to do with it. It's a group of people who know how to cook and are poor... worked it out yet?

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 14:35:44 »
It's a group of people who know how to cook and are poor... worked it out yet?

Nope...

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 14:46:43 »
Unemployed chefs obviously.

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 15:05:21 »
who know how to cook and are poor... worked it out yet?

Nurses?   bit harsh I think!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 19:11:46 »
Well, I don't want it to be true, and it's reassuring that others haven't jumped to the same thought... clue - The Daily Mail would think what I think... I hate the Daily Mail.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 19:45:42 »
well i have tried three times to add to this each time deleting before i posted and have come to the conclusion that
yes people are poor
yes people are desperate
yes we all need to be vigilant
but these are the times we are all living in its around us i don't now where you all live but were I'm from this sought of thing has been going on for years
i have heard stories of this happening before
is this the people doing wrong or the state of the country and the fact people are having to make these decisions

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 19:48:42 »
and further before anyone might get defensive i wasnt condoning this behaviour just saying i stopped and thought why would anyone make the desicion to steel veg unless there either hungary and have no money to feed them selves or this would be the latest attempt to make some money from sombode elses sweat and tears

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 19:53:29 »
Theft has always happened and i think generally allotments are less targetted that other places because the value of stuff is usually low. Stuff gets nicked all over the place and always has. Yet we hope that stuff we leave laying aroung on a plot or in a fragile wooden box won't go missing.

I read the other week that garden theft is increasing - especially in south Yorks for some reason - because people are generally spending more and more on their gardens. From what i have seen people spend a lot on their plots too nowadays and that the make and re-use sub-culture is not as coommon now that we are all generally more prosperous.

I am not sure that this is a new phenomena though. I remember thefts of veg being quite widespread when i was a kid - several sites were hit. They used to dig up potatoes and put the shoots back in the ground so that you couldnt' see what had happened till later!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 20:04:24 »
Didn't Ned Kelly get sent to Australia for stealing a tattie?

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 20:08:52 »
ollie lol
have you heard the Priministers views of late in ausy .
it went something like if you don't like my rules don't come here
this was in relation to immigrants asking for things to change to there way of life

i thought Australia was built on the success of criminal behaviour lol

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 20:13:42 »
Our neighbouring site has had a spate of thefts recently... of Veg... it turned out to be a new plotholder... ex-plotholder. They now have signs up saying anyone caught taking from another plot will be evicted straight away...
 :-[

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal