Author Topic: Wonderful flavour!!  (Read 1976 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Wonderful flavour!!
« on: June 24, 2008, 14:24:26 »
I know that this might sound really feeble but this is my first year of having an allotment and Ive just pulled my first ever home ground radish! Honestly I cant believe how different its tastes to shop bought radishes! This had so much flavour/pepper/bite!! Now I know why you all grow your own veggies!!

Duke ;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Wonderful flavour!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 14:28:19 »
Well done Duke Ellington!

It does taste different and so good!  It also tastes of "satisfaction" - that you grew it yourself and you can do it again and again and again with so many different plants and life is getting better and better!!

Old Bird

;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 20:23:08 »
Just wait 'til you get your first carrot! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 20:42:51 »
or new potato , YUM YUM ;)

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 22:06:24 »
i'm  a newbie and this year i've started out with runner beans, they seem to be doing ok so far, tomatoes, the tumberling variety, lupins, my cucumber plant died when little un pulled up the root to check it was still growing  :o I really fancy doing raddish as i think it is something the little un can help me with and won't get to bored waiting for the outcome, i've heard they grow quite quickly, but am i too late to start them now?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 22:13:39 »
hi, jordsbabe, welcome to the site, we're sowing radish still, you can get a mixed pack of colours now, may be just the thing for your little 'un  ;D

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 22:17:38 »
That sounds great! My son loves it now we have got a green house, the education value of it is invaluable!

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 22:26:44 »
Radish are about six weeks (or shorter) from sowing to harvest - I keep my "summer types) on successional sowing into early September. I did sow some winter radish last year - but have to say i am ot a big fan, i like peppery but do like to keep the roof of my mouth.  :o The ones i grew last year rivalled chilli.  ;D so I won't be trying them again.

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 22:33:04 »
my hubby and I love radish and quite often nibble on them when we get the 10pm munchies, however, the supermarket ones seem very watery and not a lot of taste, no how i remember them tasting when i were a lass!!!

Twirlie

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 23:10:20 »
Totally agree on the flavor thing. Supermarket radish are bland, I'd forgotten how spicy radish can be, so I planted more!!  I've also bought some from lidl (seeds) that are almost carrot size Icicle and a reddish one. They are sown but only just showing they'll be a while yet. 

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 10:56:33 »
I'm just SO pleased with our French Breakfast this year - they are NOT hot!!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 11:17:36 »
keep them well watered if it gets hot.
yes they do grow very quickly!
Another fun thing to grow is Florence Fennel, that grows quickly too, well it shows quickly and the ferny leaves take a bit of punishment from small hands.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 11:22:31 »
I am going to grow another batch of radish today  ;D

Duke

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 11:55:41 »
I know that this might sound really feeble but this is my first year of having an allotment and Ive just pulled my first ever home ground radish! Honestly I cant believe how different its tastes to shop bought radishes! This had so much flavour/pepper/bite!! Now I know why you all grow your own veggies!!

Duke ;D
Aside from your radish congratulations, we love your avatar! Just having some computer frustrations ourselves today so that is right on target and gave us a needed laugh. :D
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 12:07:49 »
jordsbabe
do you have a small area you could put to one side for young un ?maybe get their own mini tools,i know my nieces love helping out  or making mud pies !!
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 12:15:04 »
Remember to try pod radish and winter radish as well...  ;D

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 13:42:28 »
Grannie my avatar sums up my life with computers ...I hope I am more successful with vegetable growing!...glad it made you smile  ;D

Duke

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 15:37:23 »
By the time you've finished abusing that unfortunate keyboard, you'll probably have written the complete works of Shakespeare by sheer chance.

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 18:30:33 »
jordsbabe
do you have a small area you could put to one side for young un ?maybe get their own mini tools,i know my nieces love helping out  or making mud pies !!

I dug Ben a border, he got himself a shoebox and filled it full of worms and soil, he made a tunnel for them to play in, a bedroom to sleep in and a school!  My sister bought him a proper mini gardening set for his 4th birthday, it's got proper little mini tools, it is sooooo cute!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal