Author Topic: should i go for it?  (Read 2845 times)

tjamj

• Not So New ...
should i go for it?
« on: June 25, 2008, 09:09:23 »
Hi i'm looking into renting an allotment plot to keep hens on. I just wondered whats involved and what i would need. It all seems really mind boggling to me at the moment. How do i go about building the outside run, what goes on the ground etc. How do i go about getting permission from the council to keep hens on the allotment? Any advice gratefully received.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: should i go for it?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 09:17:59 »
A lot of councils automatically allow chickens, but you need to check the local rules. There are loads of them on my site.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 10:47:13 »
It is not rocket science - you need a lockable hen house with nesting boxes inside or stuck on outside!  You need large wooden posts (I had 8ft posts) set into the ground and wire netting all the way round the outside a door  pretty much dead easy except hard fairly heavy work.

The netting needs to go into the ground for a bit to prevent foxes digging into the run.  I have put netting over the top (6ft high) only just in case of bird flu and stopping other birds getting into contact and mine flying out!

They need food, water and shelter from the rain and sun.  They need Apart from that they are relaltively low maintenance and great fun!

They do need checking on at least once preferably twice a day though - rain or shine.  They eat loads of slugs and snails - they also make use of any excess veggies that you produce.!

Go for it!

Old Bird

;D

Poet

• Quarter Acre
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 13:16:05 »
Hi i'm looking into renting an allotment plot to keep hens on.

Is your allotment secure?  You don't want vandals to steal/hurt your hens.

I just wondered whats involved and what i would need.

how long is a piece of string?  The basics are a coop with nesting areas, feeders, drinkers, pots for poultry grit/oyster shell, layers mash/pellets and later on you'll need a worming treatment (we use flubenvet).

You should visit your girls at least twice a day IMO.  To let them out in the morning, fill their feeders/drinkers and do a general spruce up of the coop/run.  Then in the evening to collect eggs, put food away (or you'll attract vermin) and lock your girls up for the night.

How do i go about building the outside run,

there are lots of web pages with advice on building a run or you can buy ready made runs but they can be expensive.  Buy some 2 x 4 timber and some weld mesh, make some panels and fix them all together.  Don't forget to make a door so you can get in to clean it out.  Paving slabs around the edge are a good idea to keep predators out and a roof is a must or your hens and their food will get wet.  Foxes can jump quite high so another reason for a roof.  We use corrugated plastic. NB/ foxes can bite through chicken wire, a good strong weld mesh is the way to go!!!!

If they are going to be in the run permanently, make sure they have enough space to roam around, dust bathe etc.  Some purpose built runs are woefully small!

what goes on the ground etc.

our run is on soil with aubiose on top.  If you're having a fixed run then it's advisable to dig GARDEN lime into the soil when you clean it out (about once a month).  The aubiose and poo can go straight onto the compost heap, dig the GARDEN lime into the soil and put fresh aubiose down.

How do i go about getting permission from the council to keep hens on the allotment?

phone them!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 13:25:49 by Poet »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 14:13:40 »
Hi i'm looking into renting an allotment plot to keep hens on. I just wondered whats involved and what i would need. Any advice gratefully received.

Try here for an insight:
http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/

This is also worth a try:
http://www.poultrychat.com/vb/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 14:16:56 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tjamj

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 21:05:49 »
Hi, thanks so much for all of your advice. I contacted the allotment secretary today and he said that no animals are allowed to be kept on the site. However when i checked the rules on the web site it states that hens and rabbits are allowed as long as permission is sought first and guidelines are kept to. Not sure where to go with it.
I am enquiring tomorrow about another site in a neighbouring borough and have been told by one of the plot holders that he thinks they do allow hens to be kept on that site but not sure if any plots are vacant.
 Do you think its final that they do not allow them on the site because the secretary said that even though it states in the rules that they are allowed?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 21:42:58 »
The rules rule! People do sometimes like to make up their own as they go along, but if the Council says you can have them, you can have them. Double check with them (I'm assuming it's a Council site), and go by what they tell you.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 21:44:42 by Robert_Brenchley »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 21:53:55 »
If you decide to go for it tjamj, let us know? Pics would be great too!

Poet...what is auboise please?

???

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 22:10:48 »
hi, tjamj, welcome to the site  ;D
hope you don't mind me hi-jacking your thread,  is the wood tannelised, or does that make them sick ?

Poet

• Quarter Acre
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 01:45:45 »
If you decide to go for it tjamj, let us know? Pics would be great too!

Poet...what is auboise please?

???

well, you could google it but as you asked, i'm assuming you can't do that so I'll tell you  ;)

it is mainly used as horse bedding in stables, it's made from hemp and it is very absorbant and makes great bedding/litter for chickens and composts wonderfully.  Most agricultural feed merchants/horsey type places sell it or you can order it on the net.  http://www.aubiose.co.uk/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 01:47:23 by Poet »

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 13:14:53 »
I think tannelised wood is somehow sterilised with cyanide, so best not to use it for chooks. I used untreated sawn timber from B&Q and treated it myself with a pet/child safe preservative. It's lasted so far but may need a new coat once a year.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 18:50:16 »
thanks, johnny, will sort it  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal