Author Topic: Dodgy spuds?  (Read 1431 times)

cockadoodledoo

• Not So New ...
Dodgy spuds?
« on: June 22, 2008, 17:02:53 »
Hi, Im hoping somebody can advise me on my potatoes.  Im new to my allotment and have never grown them before.   I dug a couple of plants up earlier to see what was what and there are lots that look like theyve split and then grown a bit leaving strange ridges in them.  Havent got a clue why theyre like this.  They did flower quite a while ago.  Have I left them too long or something?  Also, how many of eatable size are there supposed to be on each plant?  There doesnt seem to be many :(  Has anybody else got this problem?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Dodgy spuds?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 17:11:48 »
Hi, Im hoping somebody can advise me on my potatoes.  Im new to my allotment and have never grown them before.   I dug a couple of plants up earlier to see what was what and there are lots that look like theyve split and then grown a bit leaving strange ridges in them.  Havent got a clue why theyre like this.  They did flower quite a while ago.  Have I left them too long or something?  Also, how many of eatable size are there supposed to be on each plant?  There doesnt seem to be many :(  Has anybody else got this problem?

It's due to irregular watering, probably, with the added possibility of growing them for too long... And if they're super earlies, about half a pound per plant is pretty good... most earlies would be a bit more.

cockadoodledoo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 17:24:11 »
oh no, best get the rest out asap :-[ Thanx

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 17:30:08 »
Not much to go on there. Was the variety an early or late?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 18:02:18 »
They did flower quite a while ago.

led me to assume earlies... of course, assumption makes an ass out of er, umption...

cockadoodledoo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 18:07:27 »
Yes, early cheshires.  Started flowering, maybe three weeks ago.  A few are o.k.  I pulled 4 plants today.  The one that I pulled last was one of the slower starters and they did seem to be the best.  Ive got a row of salad potatoes that look ready to flower.  Is it best to dig up while still flowering?

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 18:35:19 »
I'm hoping to pull my earlies this week coming - epicure. When i've put potato peel (from commercially bought tatties) in the compost heap earlier this year, i've now got several plants growing up. If i pull up the earlies, can i compost the above ground green stuff - leaves nad stalks without the same happening? Or is it just the tubers and eyes that sprout?

cockadoodledoo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 21:43:09 »
  Thought id test posting a picci ......hope it works.......p.s. Tyke Ive started chucking the greenery in to compost as sure its o.k.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 08:40:16 »
That looks like the result of irregular rainfall, though I've not seen it to that extent before. They sit in dry soil for a while, then get a lot of water, suddenly start rapid growth again, and split. If you keep a good layer of mulch over the top, it keeps the moisture in, and you should avoid the splitting.

cockadoodledoo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 19:23:08 »
Right, thanks.  I'll make sure to do the mulching thing next time.
p.s  I made potato gratin with them......on the bright side, they looked rather nice.......a bit like i'd sliced them and then cut them into flower shapes.... ;D LOL

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal