Author Topic: Tender bulbs from seed  (Read 2427 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Tender bulbs from seed
« on: August 03, 2004, 13:31:04 »
If you have patience, and somewhere to keep them cosy through the winter, just look what greets you when you go out to feed the fish!

Curious, the flower is huge compared to the puny little stems.  They are now 3 years old, one small flower last year, and 2 this.  I think they are AMAZING!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 13:32:17 by EJ - Emma Jane »

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:Tender bulbs from seed
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 22:56:42 »
Those are gorgeous EJ - very exotic.  do you mean you raised them from seed yourself? Wow!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 22:59:11 »
I did Wicker, and of course, I can't for the life of me remember what they are called, and I am not about to go rooting around in the garden in my underwear at this time of night looking for the label.  I already have a reputation in this neighbourhood, I don't want to lower house prices any further!  ;D ;) ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 23:26:21 »
Oh come on Emma Jane just this once, I want one for my pond :'(

Roy ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 11:31:49 »
No Roy, I couldn't do it to our neighbour.  He sees far too much of me as it is!  :o  The bulb is called Tigridia Pavonia and the blooms only last a day.  I am hoping they will set seed as I only have about 8 or 9 bulbs currently and would like to multiply my little collection.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 15:42:30 »
They are beautiful Emma - do you actually keep them in the pond in the summer.  PLEEEEZE try to find out the name  :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 17:38:37 »
Oh, I realise now I am misleading you all.  They are not pond plants.  What I meant was, the flower was on the table that I see as I opened the conservatory door to go up to the pond to feed the fish.  Sorry.  :-\

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 09:28:41 »
Still like to know the name Emma if you can find it :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 12:28:25 »
Tigridia Pavonia  ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 15:10:08 »
Never heard of that one Emma - thanks :)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 01:55:25 »
Hi EJ,
IT grogeous, Is it hard to grow them. Where do you get that from? I wonder why they thought was a plant for pond?   ???
yuet

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 22:26:35 »
I have absolutely no idea where I got the seed from.  I have a few friends in different places who once in a while send me lovely seeds which I get more pleasure growing than seeds I have purchased.  They were not hard at all, you just have to be patient as they take a couple of years to flower.  Once the foliage starts to die back, in October time, they go up into my greenhouse, where I leave them to die back naturally, watering less and less, and then, the only water the get is any that fall from the staging above.  In spring I start watering the pot again, giving it just a tiny feed, when I remember, and as soon as they start peering though the surface, and I know we are past the frosty period, they go out onto my sun baked deck where they are completely forgotten about until they do that!  2 out of 7 flowered this year - and they have set seed, so I will be collecting.  If the seeds looks okay, and you want to try them, send me your address and I will happily send you some.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal