Author Topic: what shuld i manure  (Read 1387 times)

dazer

• Not So New ...
what shuld i manure
« on: June 23, 2008, 18:30:47 »
Hi I'm a bit confused as to which bed i should or should not manure in the Autumn.
I have divided the beds into 4 on rotation. Potatoes, brasicas, Roots, Legumes,
and some other beds for things like sweetcorn, soft fruits, courget es, etc. this will be the first time for a while it has been manured as i took it over from someone who lost intrest in it and apparently manure was not something they used. So if anyone can point me in the right direction i would be very greatfull.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: what shuld i manure
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 19:38:15 »
hiya, dazer, nice to meet you,
if the manure is well rotted,we do the potato beds, sweetcorn and squash beds, in fact, the only ones we don't use it on is the root crops  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 19:41:55 »
Personally I manure the lot!!

There are some who will; say do not muck for root crops as it can make them fork.

I find if well rotted manure is dug in Oct/Nov it is even more rotted by the following April/May when I come to plant out.

For some veg e.g. Carrots I just form a 'Vee' shaped groove in the soil with my spade and fill it with spent potting compost. In this way I the soil is suited to carrot growing and is surrounded with water retentative soil thus reducing the need to water.

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 19:47:42 »
Potatoes need a lot of food:  give them manure.
Legumes don't need it;  they make their own nitrogen.   Having said that,  many people put lots of organic matter into their runner bean trench.   I think that's for water retention.
They say that manure causes root crops (like carrots) to split and fork.

I don't use manure on my soft fruit,  but I do add a lot of compost.
The courgettes will benefit from manure and lots of water.

i was typing as Manicscouser & Tee Gee were posting,  but I think the messages are similar!
Good gardening!

John

dazer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 19:52:44 »
OK thanks for that. But what about preparing a bed say for cauliflower, would i then manure again say two months before planting out, or would the one application be enough. Oh and by the way hello everyone nice to be part of the forum you have probably guessed I'm a beginner,  I've got my head in a good book trying to read up on stuff i see i have lots to learn. Thanks everyone

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 20:00:22 »
I apply well rotted cow muck to my potato plot in the autumn, I grow a lot of earlies, and follow on with squash. I find that squash prefer the soil condition. I also dig a trench and fill with same rotted muck for my beans, peas and sweet peas. That's the only areas I use muck on and the second and third years I grow the rest of my crops there, this includes all the flowers such as Carnation, Cosmos, aster etc for cuts.

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 20:08:06 »
what about preparing a bed say for cauliflower,

Can't answer that:  can't persuade anyone here to eat Brassicas ???

But the books say no.
Good gardening!

John

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal