Author Topic: Tree Rats  (Read 3256 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Tree Rats
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 17:04:43 »
It's been a long time since I've come across a moot point.

tishop

• Not So New ...
  • There's only one Huggy born Shaggy!
    • Plot 61a
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 18:09:39 »
The hedgehog example wasn't the point of my argument (I'm glad to say as it was poorly 'off the cuff' I agree). No, my main point was that by using rat poison against squirrels you would very likely be ignoring the instructions on the packet (I can't say for certain as I've never/will never use the stuff) which always where chemicals are involved is an absolute wrong. Even the manufacturers who sell us the science (And incidentally make up a hugely over-powerful chemical lobby in this country) would agree!

Voles might of been a better example and you can always use a sonic device to keep them away if needs must.

PS. Ceres. I didn't think it was you who first suggested using rat poison? My disdain went elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 18:13:41 by tishop »

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 18:33:39 »
You should give it a try, tishop, it's great stuff!

tishop

• Not So New ...
  • There's only one Huggy born Shaggy!
    • Plot 61a
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 19:24:38 »
Hmm.. that last "comment" got me to post one last time on this thread. An interesting article on garden chemicals I just found:

Quote: "It's worth knowing that you can even break the law with products that are allowed! You must use them as instructed on the packaging, so if a product is only for use on apples and pears, don't use it on your plum tree."

Source: http://uktv.co.uk/gardens/item/aid/527451

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 19:28:15 »
No, my main point was that by using rat poison against squirrels you would very likely be ignoring the instructions on the packet

Provided the rat poison is Warfarin, it is permitted for use on grey squirrels.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 19:41:59 »
The only sure way to deal with them and not hurt any other creatures is to use a cage trap. Lead poisoning is very quick (.22 pellet from a powerful air rifle).

You can be prosecuted for letting them go.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 20:10:15 »
Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, if a grey squirrel is caught - for any reason - it is illegal to release it into the wild or allow it to escape into the wild. Any grey squirrel caught must therefore be humanely despatched.

There are two recognised humane dispatch methods; by cranial dispatch using no more than two blows to the head, or by shooting in the trap. The Wildlife Trusts will not permit drowning, gassing or killing by any other means; this constitutes an offence under the Wild Mammals (Protection) Act 1996.
NB. When shooting in the trap it is best to use an airgun. Do not follow the animal with the gun. Instead either allow the animal to settle down and remain still before taking the shot, or focus the gun on a given point of the trap and wait for the animal to move into range.

Cranial dispatch is conducted as follows:
Place a Hessian sack tightly over the trap entrance taking care not to leave any gaps. Release the trap gate to allow the animal to move into the trap. At all times care should be taken not to handle the animal as there is a high risk of being scratched or bitten; thick leather work gloves will help avoid this.

Once the squirrel has entered the sack, twist the sack closed to secure it.

Ensure that the squirrel is facing into one of the corners and place your foot to the side of the squirrel to hold it in position.

Once the head is located, it is vital that the squirrel is killed quickly and humanely. A single accurate blow to the back of the head with an implement such as a fishing priest should be sufficient to kill the animal. Place the sack on hard flat ground, a stone or tree stump to ensure the blow is effective. A second blow should only be used after a few seconds if the animal is still moving vigorously. Repeated blows constitute an offence under the Wild Mammals (Protection) Act 1996.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal