Author Topic: dahlia query  (Read 1364 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
dahlia query
« on: June 21, 2008, 12:01:06 »
Hi all,  :D
                 I have bought from the garden centre 12 cell grown dahlia southbank plants, what I want to know is will these form a tuber & become  perennial?

Thanks
                                                              Adrian.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: dahlia query
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 13:15:23 »
they will form tubers. If you grow them in pots, they should overwinter if they're kept reasonably dry, and there isn't a hard winter, especially if you've got a greenhouse (and you put them in there of course). In the ground they'll probably rot, or get eaten by slugs

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 13:24:55 »
In the ground they'll probably rot, or get eaten by slugs

Depends where you are and what your soil is like.  I grew the Gardeners' World dahlia trial Bishop's Children from seed a few years ago.  I planted them out and they stay out, no mulch or protection, and they come back every year.  But I'm in London and on very free-draining soil.  The slugs liked them when they were young plants but don't seem to bother them now.  But earwigs have taken their place! 

organicandy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 15:40:22 »
hope so coz ive got 1000 growing in pots for next year, infact ive still got seedlings to prick out for next year too, ill be keeping them in the greenhouse over winter  OA

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal