Author Topic: Question : How are EJ's Tomatillos???  (Read 1719 times)

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
Question : How are EJ's Tomatillos???
« on: August 03, 2004, 11:34:33 »
Hey ;)
just wondering how they were doing? I read in the swap shop that you had some growing! I want to get some for next year, what are they like? Got a piccy?
Jemma xxx

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Question : How are EJ's Tomatillos???
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 13:34:04 »
Think I was diddled Jemma, no suprise, it has happened before.  I received the seeds thru a swap, and they are chinese lanterns, or physalis.  Loads on them, and they look lovely, but I already had a big pot full.  However, of course, number one son could have been up to his old tricks and swapped the labels around when they were seedlings.....but I don't seem to have any Tomatillos at all!  >:(  Oh well, shall have to buy some seeds next year.

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 17:13:10 »
what a shame but cape gooseberries are delicious! I LOVE EM BUT THEY ARE SO EXPENSIVE! How are they growing? Do they need to go in a greenhouse?
Jemma x

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 17:59:01 »
I am a gardening newbie and I have to say that cape gooseberries are ridiculously easy to grow... I am a bad waterer, late transplanter and generally bad mother to my plants and yet of the 4 seeds I sowed I have 4 healthy plants that are COVERED in little berries, some of which I have eaten (yum yum yum).  They are on the kitchen windowsill or outside in an open fronted mini greenhouse so don't know how they would do outside but they are very forgiving plants, I have come home to find them wilted and looking most dead and a good watering has had them back to normal in no time.  Definately worth a try!
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 18:23:58 »
I agree Piglit, they do seem to come back after being frazzled in the sun.  I love them also, so don't really mind, I just love that sharp metalic taste.  Mind you, would have loved a couple of tomatillos to try.  I have some in the garden, and they have been very slow growing, but they now have flowers on, so I would say they are a good month behind the ones that are romping away in my greenhouse.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 19:08:00 »
Aw-poor EJ,if I get a decent crop I will send you some. ;)

Stephan

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 22:39:40 »
 :-* Stephan

RichardS

• Quarter Acre
  • In the wilderness of rural Twickenham....
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 23:24:03 »
All this talk of tomatillos reminds me - did anyone hear VegTalk on R4 last friday?  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/rams/fri1502.ram

Whole programme dedicated to tomatoes, including some links to suppliers for unusual and heritage varieties, tomatillos, etc.

Plus, I do like Greg as a presenter (Charlie as well) - Saturday Kitchen really hasn't been the same since he left it.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 23:32:22 »
Cape gooseberry crumble?

All best - Gavin

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal