9 (37.5%)
dandelions
3 (12.5%)
thistles
0 (0%)
japanese knotweed
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: The worst weed  (Read 2689 times)

Sarah-b

• Acre
The worst weed
« on: August 03, 2004, 11:14:46 »
Don't know if you've done this before - but I'm sure everyone thinks theirs is the worst. I've had mares tail on a previous plot - and would have to say that is hell's own weed.

Sarah

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
  • The Monkey's Always Right!! (Brissle Here!!)
Re:The worst weed
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 11:27:20 »
Hi!!

Surely there is no such thing as a weed!! Shouldn't all plants be loved!!! ::)

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 13:15:08 »
If you want to give my bindweed a loving home, then feel free!

The stuff's everywhere.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 13:21:26 »
the worst weed in my garden is brambles. I keep digging up the bits in my garden, but then more pokes through the fence from the garages beyond. I must send Mr Aqui round there with a spade!
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 13:35:34 »
Bindweed.  Have a mini mares/horse tail plantation going on, but that really doesn't bother me at all.  The bl**dy bind weed tho, up all the plants, strangles everything, think white brittle roots that just snap as soon as you look at them! PAH!

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 13:42:13 »
My worst enemy isn't even mentioned.

Gr*und eld*r.

Won't tempt fate by spelling it out.
Sumer is a coming in....

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
  • The Monkey's Always Right!! (Brissle Here!!)
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 13:43:38 »
Anyone else get problems with Yellow Loosestrife!!
It just jumps across from my neighbours garden!! Grows everywhere!! ???

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 13:50:31 »
Whoops! sorry gilgamesh - forgot the dreaded Gr*und eld*r - that really is a nightmare isn't it.

Think our worst ones are dandelions, but then I do really enjoy it when I get one out whole!

Sarah.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 13:51:20 »
Loosestrife is really pretty, though. I'm planting the purple stuff, so hope it behaves itself! I've already had problems with love-in-the-mist which I sowed two years ago and it's self-seeded everywhere.

One of my neighbours recently finally weeded their front garden. All the knapweed, dandelions, etc are gone. But the ground elder that's growing over their roses is still there. woops.
gone to pot :D

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 19:28:38 »
Surrounding lotties are thick with mares tail but over the years we have managed to keep it fairly well at bay but the dandelions and dockens come up everywhere.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 19:38:57 »
Hello, Wicker
Must agree with you about dockens - their tap roots are a nightmare to dig out! When I first started my garden it was waist high with docks and nettles (I had to put my hands in the air to wade through!). The nettles are more or less under control, but the docks are still popping up through the grass! Aargh! Second worse HAS to be sticky wullies. I got covered in them while picking rasps from a bank. To cap it all, when I thought I'd managed to pull them all off, my daughter went and stuck on some in the shape of a face - on my backside.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 20:12:43 »
I voted for bindweed - bane of my life - but wondered why list didn't include gr***d (l**r too!

Gil, I feel your pain! BUT have to say that after three years of continuous digging, we're winning not just the battles but the war, and I have my new lawn area to prove it. Amazing!

Wish I could do the same with the B*&nd$eed !!!! Drives me into a complete convolvulus!!!

CL x  ;)

Lillypad

• Quarter Acre
  • Harrogate
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 13:19:30 »
Hi. What a friendly lot you are! I'm new to this forum so here goes with my first posting.

I would say bindwind but for the fact that after 4 years I've nearly got all of it out - still have to be vigilent though. My current bugbear is Birds Eye (speedwell) which spreads like wildfire though my crops. Any tips for dealing with this?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 13:54:34 »
friendly, us lot.....mad you mean!  ;)  Speedwell, is that like forget me not??  Ground elder is mums nightmare - someone many many years ago apparently planted it as attractive ground cover!  They were of course clinically insane!  I have a weed that romps through my lawn, very low, biggish leaves, sprawling habbit and purple flowers.  Any ideas?

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 14:19:37 »
Hi EJ, we've got something a bit like that on our plot. It's like a minature bindweed with quite pretty flowers - but it attempts tp chokt the beans etc.

On the topic of Gr***d E*d*r, once, when I was little, I made some quite tasty soup from the leaves. Well, it was the 70's. Anyway, I remember my Dad being quite pleased that i was ripping it up and putting it in a pot.

Hi Lilypad - think i've got speedwell too - lots under and around the courgettes - luckily it's easy to pull up.

Sarah.

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 17:51:21 »
I hate the bind weed, but my husband has a personal vendetta agains dandelions.  He religionsly goes round and makes sure they don't flower.  I just pour some salt in the centre of the  plant and is just shrivels and dies causing no damage to anthing surrounding it.  Excellent for lawns.

;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal