Author Topic: Leaking problem!  (Read 792 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Leaking problem!
« on: June 19, 2008, 10:55:18 »
Hello all

Last year I connected 3 waterbutts together using connector sets I bought.  All seemed well but they leak a bit from the connections.  I tried using bathroom sealant last year to fix the leaks but that didn't work.  Last week I bought some bitumen sealant for external use and proceeded to apply it around the joins.  I was sure that it would have done the trick this time but alas some of the connections are still leaking. I think this might be because there may still have been a little water in the connecting pipes (I did try and get them as dry as possible) leaking out. 

Does this sound the likely cause, and does anyone have any tips on how I might fix the problem...I'm already planning on disconnecting the joins and trying to dry the insides of the tubes to see if that works.

Thanks

SP x

silly billy

• Acre
Re: Leaking problem!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:34:42 »
How do the connectors attatch to the waterbutts? I have an over flow pipe on mine so when one fills up it over flows into the next one, the pipe attatchs to the waterbutts by a threaded piece and a nut and sandwiched in between is a rubber washer that makes the joint tight and watertight. Maybe you could use a rubber washer.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:45:27 »
Hi SB

That sounds like what I have, but I chose to connect them at the bottom rather than at the top so that I could get away with only having one outlet tap rather than having to have one for each. I'm pretty sure there were washers.  I'm not 100% sure where the leak is exactly but I have a fealing that it may not be the nuts but rather where the pipe bit fits onto the threaded/nut piece.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 12:49:46 »
A lady I know used "No more nails" to stop her connecting pipes and tap leaking.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal