Author Topic: courgette  (Read 2086 times)

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
courgette
« on: August 02, 2004, 22:29:21 »
Ive had a very good crop of the courgette "zucchini" the reason I bought this type, was, they are freezer friendly. Ive given so much away and up to the eye balls eating them. Now I have to think about keeping some for a rainy day. Does anyone know how to freeze them, please.
              jock-edin.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:courgette
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 22:33:42 »
Jock was looking this up today as well!!(tis the season!) My freezer book said steam for a few mins then chill immediately then freeze! Other option is to make them into stuff such as cakes or soup and freeze. DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 22:47:18 »
Hi there Jock.  You've done better than us this year.  Our courgettes started off great but pretty suddenly stopped producing and the leaves went pale.  I've left them in place in the hope that they start off again.  Only had two plants as we don't use a lot of courgettes ..
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 07:10:07 »
I agree with what's been said elsewhere on this - better in a ratatouille or soup, although I do sometimes flash-fry them for freezing. = Tim

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 09:39:26 »
I tend to make up large batches of ratatouille and freeze them that way. Or you could just do them in a tom sauce and then add other veggies when you defrost.

Or send some my way - my plants are still only tiny, althought they are doing better since I moved them!
gone to pot :D

Gail-M

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 09:16:59 »
Hi Jock,

I slice them,open freeze on trays and then bag.

Tried blanching them ( cos thats what book said but they were too soggy)

I sometimes think they taste a bit 'oily' so prefer to freeze as ratatouille

Gail

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal