Author Topic: Bit of a quandry  (Read 1286 times)

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
Bit of a quandry
« on: June 27, 2008, 13:11:31 »
I'm using about half of my plot now and have put in a smal variety of plants that I have bought and some I have been given.

I am treating them all the same and have mixed some bought and home grown plants together but I have noticed now that ALL the bought plants are struggling and all the home grown plants are doing okay.

I have 4 courgette plants 2 shop and 2 from my Dad. The shop ones where advanced and the home ones only had a few leaves, they were all put in at the same time and the shop ones are almost dead, the home ones doing really well.

My potatoes are in late but doing better than I thought and they were a spare net from a lottie neighbour who was going to throw them out. Strawberries again they were runners from a lottie neighbour and I can't keep up with them but Runner beans were bought in and they hare growing but not a huge amount and about half are not doing well at all.

I know the ground isn't tip top and I am just popping things in this year on a small area but was wondering if shop bought plants were always weaker than home grown or is there an issue with my plot as most of the poorly plants are on the same side but the home grown on that side is doing as well as the home grown on the 'better' side.

Any one have any ideas?

Esre
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Bit of a quandry
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 13:50:22 »
soil quality can vary from one square metre to the next but as you continue to use the plot and work in good manure etc and the more you grow and feed the soil the better it will get year after year and then YOU know exactly what is happening - for now it could just be a slight variation in soil

Peapods

• Not So New ...
  • Burnley,Lancs
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 19:16:37 »
It could well be that the shop bought plants werent hardened off and they didnt tell you they needed a bit if tlc before you put them straight out
Ive heard of this a few times this year   :(
Give me some sun for PLot 41 :-)
http://paulasplot.blogspot.com/

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 20:15:19 »
I believe you have answered your own question.  Problem sounds to be with the shop purchased plants.  Next year when you have more time and are able to sow your own, I am sure you will see a more positive response in all your plants.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 20:33:47 »
Not sure what to do now, I have some sprouts, cauli's and cabbage plants hiding out in the shed that really need to go out along with some tomato plants that needed a home, in theory the tomatoes will be fine but I'm worried about the brassicas. (Never thought I would worry about a plant!)

I'm having a long session at the weekend so may well just pop them in and hope for the best, just a bit disheartening. On the upside I'm even more determined to start my plants off next year.

Esre
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 20:40:36 »
esre
bung them in we all learn from our mistakes..next year you,ll be more prepared ive murdered many a plant/pulled them up when weeding et al
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 12:57:44 »
Not sure what to do now, I have some sprouts, cauli's and cabbage plants hiding out in the shed that really need to go out along with some tomato plants that needed a home, in theory the tomatoes will be fine but I'm worried about the brassicas. (Never thought I would worry about a plant!)

I'm having a long session at the weekend so may well just pop them in and hope for the best, just a bit disheartening. On the upside I'm even more determined to start my plants off next year.
Go for it.  Just get 'em in the ground. I thought my Carmen cucumber was beyond recovery this year but I left it and it is fruiting in abundance now I have had plants that look half dead, but once in the ground they perk up and come on well.  At the very worst - you will be no worse.off.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal