Author Topic: strawberry runners  (Read 7938 times)

mutty042130

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
strawberry runners
« on: June 16, 2008, 20:57:38 »
whats the best way to plant the runners from strawberrys? never done it before

STEVEB

• Acre
Re: strawberry runners
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 20:59:22 »
I believe you just peg them down and let nature take over.
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 21:03:11 »
Put some pots of compost under the runners, use a bit of wire to hold the runner in place. Once it rooted, cut off from the parent plant.

To be honest ive just let the root where they are in the ground before now, then cut them off once they rooted, dug them up and transplanted...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

mutty042130

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 21:36:13 »
cheers but is it the end bit you hold down in the soil or anywhere along the runner ?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 21:57:35 »
the bit with the leaves on, we peg it just behind the first bunch of leaves  :)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 06:00:00 »
It is usually a problem to stop runners from rooting with strawberries. I take them off until after fruiting has finished so that the strength goes into the fruit, then get the runners later.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 07:13:02 »
I place the runner in the bottom of a 3" pot which I then fill with compost.  It will eventually make its way to the top.  Once a healthy new leaf growth shows from the pot, I then cut the runner.  I would agree with Purpleheather and wait another couple of weeks before catching the runners.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 08:03:05 »
I place the runner in the bottom of a 3" pot which I then fill with compost.  It will eventually make its way to the top.  Once a healthy new leaf growth shows from the pot, I then cut the runner.  I would agree with Purpleheather and wait another couple of weeks before catching the runners.

That sounds like a brilliant idea for me.  I grew mine in a compost bag... great tip thank you :)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 08:39:16 »

But you don't bury the crown, do you KT?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 13:05:55 »

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 13:36:28 »
TeeGee. Have just watched your graphic. My few strawberry plants are just beginning to fruit. There are plenty of runners. Would you start rooting the runners at this stage or wait until the plants have finished fruiting? if so would you remove the runners that are there and wait for new runners? Many thanks.
Lorna

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 13:39:46 »
But you don't bury the crown, do you KT?
The whole lot.  From the tip of the runner.  All will come through.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 14:53:30 »
Would you start rooting the runners at this stage or wait until the plants have finished fruiting? if so would you remove the runners that are there and wait for new runners?

You can start now! but what can happen is ; when picking the fruit you might disturb the rooting process.

So I find it better to wait till all the fruit is harvested then peg down the runners.

Do not cut off any of the runners the plants might might not replace them so you could lose out if you do!

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 15:48:10 »
Should i get fruit from runners i planted this year ??

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 16:54:50 »
Should i get fruit from runners i planted this year ??

Do you mean from runners taken/rooted last year and over wintered in a cold frame?

If so then you should get some fruit this year. The timing will be dependent upon variety.

If you have recently taken/rooted the runners and planted them out, then I very much doubt if you will get any fruit this year, unless we get an Indian summer at the back end of the year, but I wouldn't bank on it!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 23:18:13 »
Sorry for my late thank you TeeGee. I now know what to do. Many thanks. I think I will root the runners in to pots when the time comes. I only have a small raised bed for them and would like to have more plants next year.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 09:34:16 »
I only have a small raised bed for them and would like to have more plants next year.

I am not sure if you mean your are adding to your stock or replacing it next year but consider this;

2nd year plants are better fruit bearers so I would suggest you don't replace them all.

I work on a three year system i.e. I have plants one,two & three years old on the bed, then each year I replace the three year old plants with new runners.

Now I know there are those that will say you should not replant strawberries where they (and potatoes) have grow the previous year I do!!and have done so on this particular bed for more than ten years.

Has the potential problem/s caught up with me ? I don't know!!

Last year (the worst year in garden history I think) my plants failed so I have bought new stock and moved the bed in case this method of re-planting was the cause of my failure and not the type of season we had.

I guess I will never know but then thats gardening  ???

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 10:08:59 »
Adding a little bit to what's already been said on strawberries:
I too have 3 areas, first second and third year, renewing every 3rd or 4th year to a fresh bed.
New plants are set out at about 18" apart from September onwards, really the latest I can do this in the south is December.  I let them grow direct in the soil and don't cover or plant through anything and don't use straw. They are allowed to form a close mat of runners.
Have found best growing results have been when the soil is heavily mucked for the first year, let alone the second year, and lightly mucked the third year. I don't apply any other feed, but the soil is rich here.
After fruiting the leaves get sheared off, and they get watered if it's dry at that time. I might shear some runners off at that stage. They are rarely watered once they've set fruit, but then it's wet clay soil here, and they don't like waterlogging. If the soil is light, you may have to water a lot during fruiting.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal