Author Topic: Children! - God bless the little b*$?!e*s (angels)  (Read 3635 times)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Children! - God bless the little b*$?!e*s (angels)
« on: August 02, 2004, 18:09:49 »

As my lottie was (and still is) full of annual weeds, I took along my two little helpers.

No.1 daughter aged seven said: "What can I do?"

I replied: "Pull out the weeds from in between the parsnips and carrots".

Moments later I turned around to see how she was doing, only to see a neat pile of parsnips at the side of the raised bed !!

" $%£"(**&^ "

Debs.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Children! - God bless the little b*$?!e*s (angels)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 18:13:33 »
hahahahahaha.  And that is why my children are never given jobs to do! hehehehe.  If they ask, can we help, I steer them well away from my plants, and they pick beans and peas or water.  Can't go  wrong...well...it will I'm sure.  Oh well, just think, you pay a fortune for baby veggies at the supermarket, she did you a culinary favour!  ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 18:13:49 »
Debs think that your little one and Multiveg's little one should get together..... they could demolish a whole allotment together. ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 19:02:59 »
I'm pleased I am not alone on the children front!  :D My little girl picked all the green tomatoes and baby peppers a little while ago but fortunately some more have taken their place. Oh well, at least there's another season next year to try again and next time you'll be all the wiser.  ;)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 22:46:39 »
It wasn't my little one who pulled out all but one parsnip from a row last year (it was the big one)
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 22:47:12 »
I forgot to say, that my little one's beetroot are coming up (he sowed them ever so nicely)  ;D
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 09:27:40 »
My nearly-2 yr old is obsessed with trying to pull up the onions, shouting "big, big, big one" while he attempts it.
His other trick is to take everything I have harvested and drop it into the water butt.

I like digging up potatoes with him: "Oh toes, toes, big, big toes".

Sarah.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 10:10:34 »
That was me that was -I remember getting a b*llocking from my dad when I was asked to do the weeding. They're all small and green -how do I know which is which ???

Jeremy

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 10:24:21 »
Oh, I just remembered - my brother "helped"  my Dad in the garden by "pruning" his prize tulips. All of them!  ::)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 10:28:20 »
It's not fair - I don't have any ruining the garden from when I was a kid as mum never let me do anything that might cause damage. I do remember making an awful lot of mud pies and once enjoying drowning the plants when I watered them, though!

I was only given proper jobs (like tidying the shed, hefting bags of compost and digging in the manure) was I was big and responsible enough to do it properly!

I don't have any little ones to damage my garden (my plants are my babies!) but my big one is rather good at trampling on my plants occassionally. He has big feet and is too busy looking at the pretty flowers around him to notice what is under his feet!
gone to pot :D

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 12:59:38 »
Never mind the children, my dog creeps into the greenhouse looking guilty, before he even starts, and delicately picks the strawberries and tomatoes when they are ready.  He also jumps up and picks himself an apple when he feels like it.  I was wondering where all my strawberries were going.  Between him and the blackbirds they polished them all off.  

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 13:38:03 »
Oh alit, you reminded me the first year we had apples on our tree, daughter number one was only 2, and she picked them all whilst they were still tiny!  Not one apple that year, but I convinced myself she helped the tree be stronger by not wasting energy on fruit.  :-\  And when the kids help Ava dig the spuds, I find I am trying to peel as many stones and spuds.  Apprently they all look the same.  ;D

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 13:38:43 »
Alit your pillfering doggie tale reminded me of a time when Blue (our sadly departed Lab) found a 10kilo bag of sunflower seeds (meant for the birds) and scoffed the lot, paper bag included. Just let's say that he, erm,rattled somewhat every time he 'sat down' for a few days afterwards.
We had some lovely, big sunflowers around the village later in the year - must have missed some while cleaning up after him. Everybody thought the council had planted them!!!

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

alit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 14:11:18 »
Hi Eileen

Yes, my doggie Ollie loves bird seed too, He sits under the table when i refill the feeders just in case a peanut drops down.  He's a black lab cross.  I think they are just big lovable dustbins.

Alit

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 18:58:01 »

Well, after I recovered from the shock and bit my lip very hard, I planted them all back again.... here's hoping... although I have read that parsnips do not like to be disturbed.. so hope they didn't notice ;D

Debs.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2004, 16:19:29 »
I am having pot luck with my spuds due to my 3 year old helping me plant them by tipping my carefully labelled boxes into one big heap....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal