Author Topic: should my early spuds be going brown?  (Read 1343 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
should my early spuds be going brown?
« on: June 17, 2008, 10:02:30 »
Hi I have earlies planted in March, I have noticed that the leaves are strating to go yellow with brown patches. Is this normal when they start dying off or is it a disease?
I have some Bordeaux mixture but every time I wanted to spray there was drizzle so I had to call it off. None of the other varieties look like this (for now...)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: should my early spuds be going brown?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:15:40 »
I'm not saying it isn't blight, but once potatoes have finished flowering ( and remember some don't flower anyway) it's normal for the plants to die back: that's the sign it's time to harvest them.  So if it's only the earlies it sounds as if everything's normal.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:40:02 »
it's been so dry as well, even though I have watered mine regularly the beds are still almost bone dry on top so if you haven't watered well then this could be the problem - time to be picking them now anyway

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 08:52:48 »
My Maris Pier in large tubs were going yellow and spotty so I cut them back and harvested the tatties.

Look what I got!!

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 09:12:58 »
Hmmmmm
well I went and sprayed bordeaux mixture all over the place yesterday just in case but maybe I will just dig them up this weekend then :) They are Amandine, planted in the first few days of March - the packet said 90 days.

I also sprayed the tomatoes which are looking absolutely fantastic, loads of flowers and fruit buds on the cherries and the big ones are starting to flower abundantly too.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal