Author Topic: CHICKEN LIBERATION 2008  (Read 2652 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
CHICKEN LIBERATION 2008
« on: June 19, 2008, 13:38:19 »
someone just sent me this link...

http://www.brightonanimalaction.org/

Yet again Brighton Animal Action have the chance to give these 'end of lay' birds an extended life.

We will be going into the farm in mid-July.

If you can take any birds or know anyone who can please contact us. We MUST know before the beginning of July.

If you can't take any chickens, perhaps you would consider helping us with the practicalities of rescuing them.

We need boxes, tape, hay and money. We may even need some drivers.

Almost 3,500 birds were saved from slaughter last year.  Let's try and save more in 2008.

You can contact us at:  info@brightonanimalaction.org

debster

• Hectare
Re: CHICKEN LIBERATION 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 14:07:40 »

cam do you have any objection to me posting this link on another forum i belong to?

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:45:46 »
Hi Cambourne

There are other chicken rehoming organisations also - possibly if you don't live in the Brighton area then a long drive may not be what these chickens need.

Also contact Battery Hens Welfare Trust who have so far rescued 70,000 odd birds!

I am sure there are other rescues also - but probably best to find one with a centre local to you - as travelling long distances with the birds is not advisable for them as they overheat easily!

Old Bird

;)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 10:18:02 »
Last week there was a piece on TV about battery chickens being rescued after their interned laying days I'm just sorry that I'm not in a position to take any after having poultry in the past,  I don't mean to be sarcastic but I also think it is admirable that an animal liberation organisation is working within the law because it is only about eighteen months ago that we had in our area a bunch of liberation idiots and more than likely from Nottingham uni opened the gates of a Deer farm and let the bloody things out it caused havoc through out North East Leicestershire, I do hope that you find them all suitable homes :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 16:59:36 »
Cambourne,
                I have been with a  friend of mine today who keeps  chickens, I mentioned your cause and he would like to know more any chance of a contact,
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 17:02:10 by Mr Smith »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 17:50:50 »
Folks on our allotment site have had quite a lot of ex battery hens from Coventry over the last few weeks
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 21:02:18 »
ooooh shirl are the litterally on the allotment site???? are we allowed??? id love some but dont think my gardens big enough, and sorry cam being in birmingham weere just 2 far away and too skint 2b of any use, good luck though! try a freecycle cafe near you or gumtree maybe even??? i think battery welfare trust ask for a donation towards any ppl take as way of raising funds if that helps any?
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 21:15:28 »
we're getting ours from the battery hen welfare trust, only cost 1.00 each,
www.bhwt.org.uk/

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 07:08:50 »
Manic,
             thanks for that web site on the battery hen rescue :)

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 08:06:25 »
regarding the brighton bird rescue! we managed to save over 1100 from slaughter last tuesday. I could only manage 9 but they seem settled and have given 12 eggs, 1 was laid on the way down from brighton. Have 1 which is being picked on by the rest so do I have to seperate her??? Oh and thier wings hadn't been clipped and 3 had gotten over a 7 foot fence but now safely back.
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 08:37:19 »
Sorry Lou we aren't allowed to keep hens on the plot. Good job really cos the foxes would get them
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal