Author Topic: Dreaded Bindweed  (Read 2916 times)

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
Dreaded Bindweed
« on: August 02, 2004, 11:40:17 »
Well, we have a massive infestation in our garden, and it seems that nothing we've done has any effect, until my flatmate went to her monthly gardening meeting and was told that marigold roots send out some chemical that discourages them. And what do you know, under my tomatoes, who have marigolds keeping them company, no bindweed  ;D And there was tons when I dug the bed. Has anyone else heard of this?? We are thinking of setting up a perimeter next year, and are busy collecting seeds as we deadhead. Does anyone know of a winter flowering marigold?? Want to get a jump on the stupid stuff if I can. Amanda  :)
Nothing rhymes with orange...
http://downamongtheflowers.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Dreaded Bindweed
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 11:58:52 »
Patent it, quickly!! = Tim

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 12:03:20 »
Really?? I'll just be happy if it works, we are surrounded, so if I can create a little haven...

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 12:27:51 »
Sympathies.....we're infested with the dratted stuff! Have Marigolds near veg bed but wouldn't be able to tell difference or not. I resort to Roundup, plastic bag tied over and left left until the roots zapped. Works, but not pretty to look at, so working through gradually. (yeh, like painting Forth Bridge!)

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 17:56:35 »
Have gone with the scorched earth policy on bindweed. Neat liquid comfrey burns the roots of everything including bindweed roots, then burn off seedlings by laying dry grass over the plot and torching a bonfire in the middle. Have yet to see if this works, but another plot holder swears by it as this is what he done when he cleared his plot.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 18:48:53 »
TR, where'd you get liquid comfrey?
Can't do the full scorched earth as much of my problem is among flower beds...but anything that zaps the roots sounds good.
CLx

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 18:56:57 »
I grow my own comfrey, just press it in a drainpipe into a waterbutt. Pour it on using a watering can don't spray it on. The pressed leaves are excellent on a compost i'm told, so I'm saving mine in a bin liner.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 23:00:23 »
Thanks TR..know Comfrey was good on compost, but the rest is a new tip, which I'll try.....Cheers  :D

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2004, 16:48:18 »
Dreaded post here!  For those who are not totally organically orientated and, believe me, I am mostly in favour of organic most of the time, bindweed dug out is fine but, somehow, there always is a bit left!  I have found, using spray glyphosphate, cheeper than roundup, just on the leaves and, even in close proximaty to things I wish to leave unadulterated, it works at treat!  I suppose I call it 'cheats way out' but when bind weed starts attackin my runners, I get cross!

Kate
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 16:49:50 by Muddy_Boots »
Muddy Boots

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 11:14:01 »
Muddy, it loves my runners too! :'( DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2004, 16:38:58 »
Marigolds against bindweed? Hmm sounds good.

Which type of marigold are we talking about? English (Calendula), French or African?

I am hoping (vainly) rthat it is English (ie hardy) marigolds, but I'll bet its one of the other two  :(

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 08:45:16 »
Richard...um...it's the big tall one with the flat gold flowers...definitely not French, coz I know what they look like. I don't have the packet anymore, but they are Mr Fothergills garden doctor ones. I got them for my tomatoes, but they are working a treat to keep the bindweed away from that patch of dirt. I'm busy collecting seeds so I can mount an all-out offensive on it next year.

Does anyone know of any that will grow over the winter??

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2004, 11:05:34 »
Sounds like Calendula (pot or english marigold) These are as tough as old boots (generaly frost hardy) unlike the tender/half hardy french and african types.  Though normaly annual i have found in my mild garden some almost become short lived perennials, or at least survive the winter to grow another year.

They are my favorite of the marigolds as they are sooo easy to grow (self seed easily), in fact i last actualy sowed seed of it two years ago, but have had marigolds in the garden every summer since.

Did you know they were edible? At least the flowers are. Good for salads i believe (though i havent tried it).

Its great to hear they are useful against bind weed (or seem to be). I have to admit i dont have any near where i have my marigold growing, though this may just be coincidence. I have a couple of areas where the bindweed is quite bad, so I'll try sowing some marigolds nearby and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2004, 00:22:20 »
BG- if you are collecting seeds then you can identify what you have. Calendula have large, slightly curled light brown seeds. Marigold seeds are straight, almost parallel sided, black seeds.  

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal