Author Topic: Tree Peonies  (Read 1420 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Tree Peonies
« on: June 09, 2008, 15:52:39 »
Hi Gang,

One of my tree peonies flowered for the first time after being planted over 2 years ago, the flower has died and i am left with the centre which i guess is a seed pod. Do you think i might be able to save some seeds from this and if so how do i sow them?

One of my tree peonies which has always been a little on the week side has not appeared this year, do peonies have a dormant period? Or is the plant dead?

thanks for any help

cam

Angelah

• Not So New ...
Re: Tree Peonies
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 16:51:09 »
Not got one myself but my friend has the most amazing one, they just leave it and it self seeds - I'm hoping to get a couple this year!!! Apparently they tried saving seed and planting it but have had more success leaving it to its own devices.

peasmad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 22:42:57 »
Not sure if tree peony's are the same, but some peonies have black and red seeds in the pod. The black are fertile, discard the red. But if they're self seeding, best way to let them get on with it. But don't forgewt, that when re planting, plant at the same depth as original position.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 22:45:18 »
thanks guys my tree peony overhangs the boarder at the moment so i am going to stake it up so that the seeds go onto the soil rather than the grass :)

I will try and save some as well :) just in case

thanks

cam

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 00:58:27 »
Do the same rules apply to moving a tree peony as an herbaceous peony ?

And is now a good time, ie after flowering ?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 08:36:17 »
Paeony seeds are slow to germinate; put them in a pot and leave it alone apart from not letting it dry out. Do it once the seed is ripe, and you should hopefully have seedlings in spring 2010.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 12:14:07 »
I was given some seed and although germination has been very poor I have one yellow tree peony which now has two leaves!   ;D ;D

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal