Author Topic: Question - Bulbs on my baby leeks  (Read 1008 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Question - Bulbs on my baby leeks
« on: June 14, 2008, 19:45:26 »
Hi all

I went to plant out some leeks today, and they all have little bulbs on the bottom. I've never had this before, but then I've never tried sowing them so early either.

I sowed them around Christmas time, with the intention of making giants, but didn't get round to planting out until now. Will they bolt? I think they may think they're a year old already...

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Question - Bulbs on my baby leeks
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 07:08:11 »
Anyone?

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 07:17:41 »
Well, I've never seen that on my leeks, but then again I am always immpatient to get them out as I run out of room.

May be an idea to plant them , but use a lot of them as soon as they are of any decent size incse they decide to bolt.

Then again, I'm no expert, sorry ::)

cj :)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 11:19:53 »
Hi all

I went to plant out some leeks today, and they all have little bulbs on the bottom. I've never had this before, but then I've never tried sowing them so early either.

I sowed them around Christmas time, with the intention of making giants, but didn't get round to planting out until now. Will they bolt? I think they may think they're a year old already...

Planting them early will not get you a giant Leek, its the breed that does that does that.
Your leeks should be ok to plant.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal