Author Topic: whats wrong with my beetroot?  (Read 1958 times)

springbok

• Hectare
whats wrong with my beetroot?
« on: June 10, 2008, 22:36:23 »
I grew boltardy beetroot.  Doing really well, but today the leaves look shrivelled and dry and lost all their colour.  Is this a disease?

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
Re: whats wrong with my beetroot?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:55:27 »
I always have a problem with growing beetroot.

The leaves are attacked by leaf miner and make them look burnt and withered.  Here's a image from a few years ago.

As far as I know there's nothing that can be done  :(

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 16:28:49 »
could be that they are just thirsty considering the dry weather - give them a good soak and look right inside the centre to see if new leaves are emerging

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 20:59:16 »
could be that they are just thirsty considering the dry weather - give them a good soak and look right inside the centre to see if new leaves are emerging

Thank you for this tip.  Put the sprinkler on the beetroot every night for an hour and its done wonders. :)  Beetroot has new leaves :D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 12:41:55 »
My biggest problems with beetroot (other than having to sow in modules because they wont germinate in the ground!) are the sparrows! Our local population have taken a distinct liking to the leaves of my beetroot this year. The leaves on half my plants have been totaly stripped. Definetly the birds not snails because I have caught them in the act several times!

Now the lants are just sitting and sulking, roots not swelling at all (probably need a good drink though).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal