Author Topic: How much shading for a polytunnel?  (Read 1919 times)

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
How much shading for a polytunnel?
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:46:58 »
I've been trying to decide where in the garden to put it.
Problem is that the garden goes West to East but next door have a bloomin' great ash tree whose shadow covers the width of the garden steadily moving eastwards as the sun moves west. I plan to put the tunnel N- s in the second location and west - east in the first- the privet hedge is in the way but would be a good windscreening plant.

I have two possible locations.
1. Near the house and in full sun most of the day appart from past 5 ish onwards
2. Further down the garden , which is shaded by the tree first thing and then shaded by next doors cherry blossom tree from about 7 onwards

I know that a green house needs some shade during mid summer sun, is it any different for a polytunnel.

Thanks
Jo

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: How much shading for a polytunnel?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 14:14:15 »
A polly tunnel should go from East to West and there is no need to have shade for a tunnel. Bare in mind that if you put it under trees branches may fall and tear the skin.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 15:01:33 »
What fun!

I also think that shading is not necessary - the plastic is not as clear as glass so there is less chance of plants being scorched.

It would be good to see piccies of how you manage to get it up as and when!!

Old Bird   ;D

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 15:47:55 »
QUOTE OLD BIRD { It would be good to see piccies of how you manage to get it up as and when!! }

YOU SURE ABOUT THAT

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 18:06:20 »
Great, thanks for all the replies.

Having just checked the shading around the garden all day today, I think I only have one place to put it that is never in the shade, but will have to put it N- S  to prevent any branches falling on it. We have an old hawthorn hedgerow next to a footpath and next door have the ash tree and rather large shrubs  (8ft rhododendron)so prevent us from putting it next to either edge of the garden.. I thought it could also act as a windbreak for the raised beds I plan to put along side as we are on top of a hill and in recent winds the bamboo was blown flat tho' it did get back up again.

One other question, if I did put the tunnel near the house that has shading from next doors tree from  onwards do you think it would significantly reduce my cropping ability.

I have asked how they feel about the tree as to my mind its a bit big being that close to the house. The wife said fine , chop it down, then the husband came out and cut a branch off it!

Am working towards getting it up in September. I promise photos will follow

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal