Author Topic: Honeysuckle  (Read 2144 times)

nippie

• Acre
Honeysuckle
« on: June 06, 2008, 15:28:39 »
You only see me when I have a question don't you  ;D Hope you don't mind!
When is the best time to take honeysuckle cuttings and what is the best way?
My neighbour has the most glorious honeysuckle which is growing over my wall and I would like a cutting for another part of the garden  :D
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Re: Honeysuckle
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 15:37:05 »
It can be difficult to take cuttings from honeysuckle, although the one I have now which is almost 20 years old is from a cutting I took, since them I have tried many more times and failed miserably, but the most easiest and simplest way is to look for a little piece that has self rooted, you could always ask your neighbour to have a look and see if she can find a nice little piece to pull you up?

I always share mine that way, as neighbours often request some of my lovely specimen.

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 15:44:29 »
Thanks honeybee. I have tried in the past, unsuccessfully!
I think as you say I shall have to ask for her help. She is very obliging, but I would never hear the last of it!!!

mapcr77

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 16:15:49 »
Amateur Gardening had an offer a couple of weeks ago for 2 free Honeysuckles and 2 Passifloras, for just £2.75 p&p from Thompson and Morgan. I sent for mine and they just arrived, maybe you could try and order them?

And indeed I was about to ask about how to treat the tiny plants? I've just repotted them into a 9cm pot. Where's the best place to keep them and how quickly will they grow? Is it gonna be years until they flower or will I be lucky by next summer?  ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 11:49:35 »
Since it is hanging over your wall could you run some of it into a pot of soil on your side and tack it in there til it roots?
The wild japanese honeysuckle (very fragrant) around us just roots itself like crazy, actually very invasive but the smell is wonderful so I don't remove it.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 20:28:51 »
Since it is hanging over your wall could you run some of it into a pot of soil on your side and tack it in there til it roots?
The wild japanese honeysuckle (very fragrant) around us just roots itself like crazy, actually very invasive but the smell is wonderful so I don't remove it.
Thanks Grannie Annie, I had been considering this, I think I will give it a go. Actually I am kicking myself cos she asked me to keep an eye on her dogs yesterday and let them out for a wee cos she had to go out. I had the ideal opportunity to try and sneak a bit with some root and never gave it a thought  ::)
mapcr77, I won't have anything to do with T&M  :o Thanks for the info though.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 10:08:05 »

Hello Grannie Annie

i have some honey suckle on my allotment thats in my way its intertwined with my goosberries i need to transplant it when is the best time to do this and is there anything i need to be aware of if i do this ?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 10:38:38 »

Hello Grannie Annie

i have some honey suckle on my allotment thats in my way its intertwined with my goosberries i need to transplant it when is the best time to do this and is there anything i need to be aware of if i do this ?
You'd best ask one of the Brits since our weather is different than yours. The temp is 35 C plus already here so I'd save the gooseberry at all cost and hack back the japanese honeysuckle which grows like kudzu and wait until Fall to get out its roots. But it may be quite different case over The Pond.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 10:54:58 »
thanks for the advice more research is needed then

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal