Author Topic: Petrol strimmer advice please  (Read 6332 times)

silly billy

• Acre
Petrol strimmer advice please
« on: June 08, 2008, 22:34:14 »
I would appreciate some advice with regards buying a petrol strimmer. I have seen the following at Argos
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7300662/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500011159.Garden%2C%2BDIY%2Band%2Bleisure%3EC%24cip%3D1500011299.Garden%2Bpower%2Btools%3EC%24cip%3D1500011300.Grass%2Btrimmers.htm

I only need it to do the edge of my plot nothing heavy just grass every now and then. Would this be suitable? Do you need to add 2 stroke oil or just petrol? How easy is it to replace the cutting line? Any advice welcome. Thankyou. Nearly forgot..........what does "bump feed" mean?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 22:37:20 by silly billy »
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Petrol strimmer advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 22:44:51 »
Dont go on the picture as that is not the type of strimmer advetise the pic shows a streight shaft with brush cutting blade the actual strimmer will have a bend at the bottom and will only take strimmer line usually 2.4mm thick, yes you will add oil at about 20/1 but may vary due to differing enginse, you can get line that you rewinde onto the spool or you can buy spools ready wound but these are 4 or 5 time more expensive than just buying line and winding it yourself but its quite easy to do and gets easier the more times you do it. bump feed means that as the line get worn and breaks you just tap the head on the floor as its spinning and it feeds new line out automaticaly, so you can carry on strimming.it will be fine for grass and occasional use.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 22:52:11 by hippydave »
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 06:45:40 »
Take a look back a few pages their is a long thread on this subject !
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 07:21:40 »
Silly Billy, it's the one that I bought and I have to say it's fab, but...... it's heavy and can be a sod to start.  I have a lot of grass to strim up the lottie so needed something a little heavy duty and this really did do the trick.  Make sure you put the strap at the right length because the motor under your arm can get a little hot!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:43:56 »
Thanks for the advice and for pointing out the other post. Cheers ;D ;D
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 21:44:11 »
I had to laugh at the 3 year replacement cover costing more than the strimmer itself. ::)

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 22:53:22 »
I would appreciate some advice with regards buying a petrol strimmer. I have seen the following at Argos
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7300662/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500011159.Garden%2C%2BDIY%2Band%2Bleisure%3EC%24cip%3D1500011299.Garden%2Bpower%2Btools%3EC%24cip%3D1500011300.Grass%2Btrimmers.htm

I only need it to do the edge of my plot nothing heavy just grass every now and then. Would this be suitable? Do you need to add 2 stroke oil or just petrol? How easy is it to replace the cutting line? Any advice welcome. Thankyou. Nearly forgot..........what does "bump feed" mean?
You mix two stroke oil with the petrol, usually a 50:1 mix, you can buy little packs that have enough for 5 lites. Put the oil in the can then fill with petrol and this mixes it in.
Cutting line is easy to replace. If you can get it buy star line, this is much tougher than the round line and will last a lot, lot longer.
Bump feed is on the better strimmers. It is a way of letting more line out when it has worn down when you strimmed that wall  ::)  Inside the unit you wind on lots of line, then as it wears down which it will, the more solid things you hit, you bump the end of the line head on the ground, this is sprung and is a clever devise to let out a set length of line. If you wear it down a lot you bump it a few times to let enough line out. I often actually stop the machine running by switching it off, and do it by hand so I can see how much line I am letting out.
Much the best strimmers are Stihl, these are German, professionally made, reliable and easy to get spares and repairs. Most profesionals use them.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 09:38:13 »
A pair of long-handled edging shears will cost about £20 and will do the job quicker with less effort.

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 16:19:07 »
Thanks for the tip Silly Billy; I've just reserved one at Argos and will be picking it upi after work.

:)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal