Author Topic: Farmyard Manure  (Read 4403 times)

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
Farmyard Manure
« on: June 09, 2008, 09:39:57 »
Having a look in Homebase at the weekend I saw bags of 'Farmyard Manure' for sale. I have a large area of my plot that won't  really be used until next year now (ground is solid and just a bit too late) so can I

A) cover in manure to supress the weeds and start getting the ground good for next year and

B) is it worth getting the Hombase stuff as my potential supplier has moved and OH is really not keen on the idea of manure in the car so getting the 'real' stuff will be a bit of hassle for a while.

On the upside I harvested a few bits (at last) at the weekend but have no idea what they tasted like as the kids went through them like locusts!

Esre of the daft questions.
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

daileg

• Hectare
Re: Farmyard Manure
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:57:18 »
well to answer your question

(1) to buy from the big shops will cost you too much money and will not be viable as in cost to table
(2) try and phone a few Farms there normally glad to get rid or even for a few quid per load no more than £ 30 per full load my plot will take three loads from our farm suplier costs me about £ 30 a year
you would need about thirty or so bags you work out the costs from B&Q and cpmpare 

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 20:17:05 »
Could not agree more it is an expensive way of buying muck but in saying that I have done just the same this year but I now I have got to know my fellow allotment holders I should be able to get myself a load of muck for this backend :)

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 14:29:34 »
I'm a bit stuck at the moment until I can convince OH that proper manure will not make the car smell and I won't spill it all over the boot.

Until then I'm trying to get a bit of a head start on the uncultivated area so I don't get over run with weeds again.

Esre

Plot 24A
My Blog

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 15:33:41 »
Proper well rotted farmyard manure should not smell bad or poo-ey!

It is only fresh stuff that smells - the well rotted stuff does not smell and is - in appearance - more like dark earth than anything else!  There should not be drops of poo visible as it will not be "well rotted"

Anyway tell hubby it is your car too - or else get him to get a tow bar fitted and get yourself a small trailer!! 

Old Bird!

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 23:33:16 »
Hi

Why don't you try green manure. It's cheep, helps keep the weeds at bay and doesn't stink in the car. The goodness is kept in the plant which will then break down into the soil when cut back or dug in, and it won't leech away over the winter.
I'd rather be flying

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 07:01:45 »
A partial result!

There is a guy that delivers to the plots so I have put my name down....just have to wait until October.

Esre

Plot 24A
My Blog

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal