Author Topic: Eggs with no shell/thin shell - Help Needed  (Read 2062 times)

Old bird

• Hectare
Eggs with no shell/thin shell - Help Needed
« on: June 02, 2008, 11:01:02 »
Another little problem!

One of my girls was coming down from the house and was standing looking a little strange on the runway - and other girls were trying to get past her - so i moved her gently and out popped a soft egg.  I don't think there was any shell round it at all. AS it dropped on the step it broke and there was a mad dash for eating it - which I certainly don't want to encourage egg eating!  I managed to get a watering can and wash it away quickly!

In the nest box there is evidence of yolk on the side of the box - but no shell or anything else.

I have given them grit and oystershell loose in their run - I am feeding them layers mash along with layers pellets and a bit of corn.

Anything else I should be doing as well?  Supplements or whatever?

Old Bird :o

Poet

• Quarter Acre
    • Blog
Re: Eggs with no shell/thin shell - Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:10:46 »
we have 5 ex batts and have the odd softie.  As well as having it in pots, we mix the grit/oyster shell in with their mash.  We've also tried some limestone flour in with their mash but the usual culprits still lay the odd softie.

you can get limestone flour from most horsey places.

also, save the egg shells, bake them in a moderate oven for about 10 mins then crush them and add them back to the food, about a tblsp or so.

lay off the treats for a few days to see if that helps because if they're not filling up on their mash then they're getting enough calcium from their food.

Ii all that fails then I think it's just something they do when they're nearing the end of their laying career as we've tried everything and still get the odd softie.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 16:19:14 »
Thanks for that Poet!

I will give your ideas a try!

Old Bird

;D

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 22:03:43 »
I also have the odd soft one.  i give them a daily mix of soggy bread and oyster shell (the bread hiding the fact so they take in the grit without noticing!)

I have heard they sometimes they do a soft egg if they have been frightened so has upset the whole egg production......anything from a thunderstorm to a cat......

but the oyster shell normally sorts them out.

Poet

• Quarter Acre
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 22:08:58 »
beanie3, maybe I've misread you but I believe they should have oyster shell provided all the time, not just when you have a soft egg.

We provide a little pot of oyster shell and grit and also mix some in with their food on a daily basis.

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 22:26:10 »
its prob me - i sometimes dont type very clearly!

I feed them soggy bread and oystershell every day (slightly blushing - as my little ones are very spoilt!!!!)

Poet

• Quarter Acre
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 23:50:21 »
if it works, keep at it  ;)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 14:38:03 »
Thanks to all for advice!!

Today I got 9 eggs from my 11 chooks up the lottie and 1 from my "girl at home"

All perfect!  Thanks for the advice people - it worked!

Old Bird

Poet

• Quarter Acre
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 15:15:09 »
glad it worked, you're welcome  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal