Author Topic: Coreopsis "Flying Saucer"  (Read 2748 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Coreopsis "Flying Saucer"
« on: July 30, 2004, 21:31:29 »
Has anyone got this growing in their garden? I bought this plant today because I love it's bright yellow flowers which continue for such a long time and I think it's name is really cool!

Apart from it liking a sunny position I can't find much information about it. One website I found mentioned that these plants are often sterile, is that true? That would be very dissapointing as I was hoping it would self seed - the bees have been buzzing around it all day today.

I want to make sure that I have it again next summer, will it re-grow in spring or should I be taking cuttings to overwinter for next year?

Here's a picture of what the plant looks like. http://www.gro-n-sell.com/gallery/photos/pages/Coreopsis%20Flying%20Saucer.htm
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Coreopsis "Flying Saucer"
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 22:32:11 »
Cor, what a blast of zingy sunshine!  Well, looked them up in my book, and of course that one isn't there, but it says if they are annuals raise from seed and if perennial propagate by division or taking stem cuttings in the summer.  Can't find anything about any of them being sterile.  Hmm, sorry, I am no help what so ever!  :-\

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 23:17:17 »
Thanks EJ. It is a perennial so I will take some stem cuttings just incase it doesn't survive the winter, not sure how tender it is. If it does survive the winter then maybe I'll have something for the swap shop next year.  :)

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 00:37:26 »
It's perennial to USDA zone 4 (at least -20C) so long as it has good drainage. Keeping coreopsis dead headed, or used as cuts, will prolong their flowering season greatly.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 00:40:32 by john_miller »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 15:15:29 »
Jesse I love em! Mine is flowering away at the moment too! NEVER had any luck in keeping it overwinter though, so unfortunately I have to buy a new one yearly, but they last quite a while and look so fabulous I think it is worth the expense! Let me know how you get on with taking cuttings. DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 19:51:35 »
hallo Jesseveve,  Coreopsis are annual as well perennial. The one you mean is a perennial.( Coreopsis tripteris?? from USA)
 You can take seed but perennials can be divided easily. After a few yeuars you have to divide them anyway, take them out the ground, divide and plant again, otherwise they deteriorate.    

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 21:01:37 »
Thanks all. It sounds like it will survive the winter if I give it some protection and make sure it doesn't stay too wet. I think I'll take some cuttings just incase to overwinter indoors and then I'll give it a good mulching at the sign of first frosts. I did read somewhere that the foliage should be cut back in April and not before winter as this (the old foliage) helps to protect the plant from frosts.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 23:15:14 »
LC- Coreopsis grandiflora 'Flying Saucer'
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 23:15:30 by john_miller »

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 08:10:04 »
Thanks John, grandiflora. The tripteris is probably too big for the garden.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 13:50:44 »
Coreopsis are perfect for the late summeg garden. the go soooo well with things like rudbekias, heleniums (my late summer fave) and echinaceas.  Unfortunately whilst I have done well with those, i havent suceeded with coreopsis. Attempts to grow them have failed (plants did not survive the winter - a strange thing in my mild garden).

Would be prepared to try again though given the chance.

Iain D

• Not So New ...
  • I do like to be beside the seaside - mostly!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 17:44:54 »
Richard - I've had similar problems with coreopsis. I have the variety Moonbeam. It's a lovely thing and last year (it's second year) it put on a lot of growth and flowered for ages. I had six plants but this spring, I found that four of them had disappeared and the remaining two had gone to almost nothing! No idea what the problem was as other more obviously tender things made it through the winter fine. I have one decent plant now and it's flowering but I think I'll either have to buy more or try cuttings.  Like Doris, I reckon they're worth the expense though!

Cheers, Iain

BTW - agree about heleniums, they're fab!

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 19:15:58 »
Oooooh, the plot thickens. It sounds like they should be hardy but not many of you seem to succeed through the winter with them. I'll give it my best but if they don't survive I agree with the rest of you, they are well worth buying again. Such sunny little faces brightening up my garden.  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal