Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Water Butts Revisited

(1/5) > >>

mysticmog:
As the last thread re: water butts kind of tailed off, does anyone have any idea how you can collect water in a water butt with the lid on....and no shed....but stuck and need to sort out butts for rainy season (ie now till July  ;)

All suggestions welcome...

Hugh_Jones:
Without a reasonably large collecting surface such as a shed or greenhouse roof it would be impossible in this country to collect the quantity of rainwater that you`re talking of.  Without such a collecting surface you would require 36 inches of rain to fill a 3 ft. deep butt, so unless you are prepared to construct a 6ft wide funnel I`m afraid that there`s just no way.

Of course, you could just syphon a few gallons at a time from everyone else`s butt when they`re not looking!

mysticmog:
Oooh, Hugh, that's so eeevvill....seriously, could maybe fix the top of one of those silver bins with the funnel lids (for burning?) upside down to the top of the butt....hmmm

Hugh_Jones:
Well, just check the arithmetic.  I don`t know what size your butt is, but say it is 3ft. high and has a diameter of 18 ins. this gives a surface area of 1.76 sq. ft.  Assuming a rainfall of 12inches over the period you mention (which is probably overgenerous), you would need a funnel with a total area of at least 5.3 sq. ft. - i.e. a diameter of at least 2ft 7 ins.  If your area`s average rainfall for the period is normally less you would have to increase the diameter of the funnel accordingly.

mysticmog:
My lord, fantastic mathematical calculations, and of course youre right, but my butt is definately not 3ft high!  It's quite pert actually.  Maybe I should build a shed then.

Ta 4 the info anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version