Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Water Butts Revisited

<< < (2/5) > >>

gavin:
Got me thinking, this one.  I don't have a shed - can't have one (six on the site burnt down, in two years).

So how about a really daft idea?  Do you use plastic sheet to control/kill weeds?  Let it also harvest winter rain water into a sunken barrel?  You'd have to lift the rainwater into however many above-ground-barrels you'd need (could be VERY cold and unpleasant in winter?  Hmmmm!).

It'd work for me - a length of plastic the length of a path, and up the sides of the raised beds would be like a gutter.  I'd have weed control on the path, but rain still falls on the beds.   ;D

I'm almost tempted to try it!    I've got it all mapped out - a couple of gentle slopes to use; a bit of ground ideally placed to take the sunken barrel; three or four spots for convenient above-ground barrels (could even link them with hose, I think, so I only fill one - and the water levels out across the network). ;D

It's (almost!!!!) a pity that we have water taps AND can use hoses.  :)  Just as well I'm lazy. :-[

All best - Gavin

Hugh_Jones:
Much simpler Gavin. You simply dig a hole 6ft x 4ft and 1ft or more deep and line it with your plastic sheet. 12 inches of rainfall would provide 12 inches of water - 24 cu. ft, or 150 gallons in total, as much as 2 or 3 butts - as well as a permanent supply of frogs to deal with your slugs

Mrs Ava:
That would be a pond then  ;D

mysticmog:
Or a network of ponds - I can see this turning into an entire irrigation system.....unfortunately I would have to go back to the whole concept of coverage - aren't water butts supposed to be covered over - wouldnt you end up with yicky water full of green algae and other such plantlife?

Maybe could have a sunken butt/pond with a lid?  Anyone got any ideas on how I might do this?

I could always just look for the water tap that is supposedly hidden somewhere on the allotments....

Doris_Pinks:
Water diviners required for Christmas Mysticmog?? ;D  may fine the water supply then! Dottie P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version