Author Topic: quick question time - tomatoe food  (Read 4088 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: quick question time - tomatoe food
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 23:48:59 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D @ Amazin!

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 05:46:31 »
Guys we should be fighting pests and diseases not each other.

It is very easy to misconstrue intentions behind a post on the 'net as it is the written word without the benefit of seeing the persons face.

1/2 of all communication is by looking and judging the persons expression whilst they are talking.

I enjoy Heathers posts and while I do disagree with her about tom food there is no harm in cutting her some slack.
It is what Heather believes about the tom food and has found to be effective FOR HER so she isnt deliberatly misleading or lieing to anyone.

Play nice guys   ::)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 10:32:42 »
It is very easy to misconstrue intentions behind a post on the 'net as it is the written word without the benefit of seeing the persons face.

Pricisely, Ishard. That's why we have the emoticons, which you and I have both used in our posts. Perhaps you misconstrued mine?
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 11:01:07 »
Ooo, made a bit of an Ed there.

'You use a high potash fertiliser (K) for root crops'

I think I should have said potassium.

??? :-[

valmarg    Aren't potassium and potash roughly the same, one derived from the other?

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 11:44:07 »
Potash is a compound of potassium. I'm not sure what the other bits in it are (carbon and sulphur?) but I think it is usually responsible for the potassium (K) part of of your fertiliser. Wood ash contains it.

Just googled: potash = Potassium Hydroxide so the other bits are Hydrogen and oxygen - not C&S  :-[

PS Who are these cleaver sods? Do they carry large knives? Should we be very afraid that they might make us spell 'yield' correctly?

allanwoolley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 14:29:12 »
Thanks to every one for the most amusing thread I've seen for ages!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 16:29:21 »
Thanks for trying to sort me out, Heather, but I'm still up th creek without a paddle.

I still can't fathom the 'more completeness' of Tom food.

We know that some brands have added Trace Elements, some have Seaweed Extract, some are Fish based, some highlight Magnesium, but apart from that, surely, you've just got your NPK in suitable proportions for the job in hand??

PS This was a 'quick question' I recall?

PPS Yes - except for this year,when I needed a change, I have always used a soluble Vitax ('professional') fertiliser which is run through an Access dilutor at every watering.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 17:30:48 by tim »

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 17:27:51 »
I'm with Tim: even if a feed has extra bits and pieces surely it's not advantageous to feed e.g. a plant that likes more nitrogen with a feed that contains more potassium

PPS
..............The last thing they need is to be picked up because they have made a simple spelling mistake. .................

PH I think it  should be mentioned that it was you who picked up on the spelling mistake. In general on this forum I've noticed we are not a bunch of pedants and usually spelling mistakes are only mentioned when either they might lead to a misunderstanding or they are fun. Actually, I think that many are due to typos rather than an inability to spell properly.

People don't even mention it when someone confuses effect and affect NOT THAT I MIND OH NO I'M QUITE RELAXED ABOUT IT, GIBBER, SNARL....

.....no accounting for what might irk one is there? :)

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 17:43:27 »
i agree this spelling thing is allways a problem  my keyboard is wireless and if the batteries are going becomes a big problem as I'm not a typest and look at the keys when typing

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 18:05:53 »
I'm leaving the chemistry to yous'all....me, I buy Poundland stuff and that's the end of it :-[

To the issue of spelling, punctuation and grammar...such a pity that it has arisen, and this I deplore.  :(  It is enough, surely, that the meaning is understood and that we all respond to that.

To the rest - Barnowl..I'm quite relaxed about aberrant apostrophes....REALLY I AM ;D ;D ;D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 19:10:11 »
I would never think of pulling anyone up over their spelling.  I might have a bit of a smile to myself sometimes, but the object of the exercise on here is communication.

As barnowl says most of them are typos.  And I should know, I used to be a shorthand/trypist. ;D

valmarg

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 09:15:00 »
Thanks for a fab thread and reminding me there are a lot of really nice people out there ( going through a bad patch) lifted my spirits no end! ;)

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 10:17:44 »
I'm leaving the chemistry to yous'all....me, I buy Poundland stuff and that's the end of it :-[

To the rest - Barnowl..I'm quite relaxed about aberrant apostrophes....REALLY I AM ;D ;D ;D

thats' good to know   :)

stevefarr440

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 12:34:07 »
hey guys! thanks for all your posts! i am now a master of tomato feed and its all down to you! hehe i thought this would be a one post repy!  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal