Author Topic: Agapanthus  (Read 4088 times)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Agapanthus
« on: July 30, 2004, 09:51:34 »
I have been waiting about four years for my Agapanthus to bloom.  I am so chuffed - it has finally delivered.  The reason it took so long I understand is that I grow it in a pot and it has to be fairly pot-bound before it will bloom.  The variety is Agapanthus headbourne.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re:Agapanthus
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 09:57:32 »
I love agapanthus and yours look lovely. I didn't know about the pot-bound thing so thanks for posting that info. I have been looking at buying some bulbs/tubers and have seen some white ones, but the blue are my favorite.  :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 10:04:16 »
Hi Jess - the reason I had to wait so long is probably because I planted them in quite a large pot.  If you use a smaller one you probably get the blooms sooner.  They are lovely though aren't they.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 11:32:31 »
Oh Pat they are wonderful!  I have a couple that I grew from seed last year, so think I will be waiting yonks before I see that stunning blue in my garden!  What else is doing the business in your garden now??

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 12:24:45 »
Beautiful! I got some Agapanthus seeds from the Trebah garden in Cornwall. Will definitely have a go...some things are worth waiting for...CL x :)

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 14:44:49 »
Beautiful pictures! I put two varieties of agapanthus in the garden earlier this year - one white and another smaller purply-blue variety. They are both flowering beautifully but I am now wondering whether they are in the right place. Perhaps someone could help me. They are in clay soil which I have tried to improve a bit, and I have added some sand to help drainage. It is fine in the summer but if we have a wet winter it can get a bit soggy there. Should I transfer them to pots or leave them where they are and take the risk?
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 15:45:36 »
Just for Emma here are a few more garden photos.  Our back garden was a concrete jungle when we came here - it is a bit of an awkward shape (triangular).  Had two LARGE Chestnut trees (not a good thing close to the bungalow) so they had to go.  Also hub put the pond in as a feature at the wider part of the garden.

Regarding the correct way to plant the Agapanthus Plocket, I am afraid I cannot help as not an expert.  Mine are just in multi purpose compost in their pot.

Canna
Oriental lily

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 15:46:18 »
Plocket when I first got my garden I planted Agapanthus and like you my soil is clay. I had tried to improve the soil but not as well as I have done now. They grew okay through the summer but the winter killed them. Think the clay was just too sticky and wet and cold for them. I was at the garden centre today and guess what fell into my trolley?  ;D  This time I'm keeping it in a pot and will put it in the shed during winter.

Gardengirl all that colour is stunning!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 15:48:10 by Jesseveve »
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 22:40:45 »
Oh Pat, what a gorgeous garden you have!  So much colour and stunning Fuschias.  And your Cannas are soooooooo tall!  Are they in your pond?  I ask because at our squatic centre they sell cannas as marginals, but I assumed they prefered drier soil.  Now I am treating mine to gallons of water, and I have to be honest, they have put on serious growth.  The pond looks wonderful also, and I love the cobbles around the top.  You garden looks like a real suntrap, can imagine you sitting there sipping your G&T watching the birds and the bees go by.  Thanks for posting them Pat.  ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 10:46:47 »
Thanks for the compliments Emma.  :) No the Cannas are not in my pond, they are in a large pot on the rockery.  I over-winter them in the greenhouse, top dress them with fresh compost in the spring and put them out when frosts are over.  I am amazed at how tall they have grown.  They need plenty of water so I have to make sure they are topped up regularly.  What I have growing in the pond as a marginal in a pot is Kafir lilies.  They are hardy so can be left in all year.  They do not flower until almost autumn - I will post a piccie later.  Hub put the cobbles on the top to pretty it up as it is only a fibre glass one,we have to have it raised to stop the dogs jumping in it :o

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 12:08:21 »
What a beautiful garden it is. Is your agapanthus still in  a pot or did you put it in the garden? Where I live it is impossible to leave them out in the winter. As soon the temperature drops to minus 5 they have a problem with the frost. So they have to go in the greenhouse to overwinter. Do you feed the agapanthus now it is in bloom?

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 14:02:00 »
Helena - my Agapanthus is still in it's pot.  I keep the pot outside in winter in a fairly sheltered place.  I must admit I do not feed it, although now it has produced flowers I will probably do so as it is dying down to hopefully produce more next year.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 15:12:24 »
I love Agapanthus and have 2 types, the names of both of course escape me!! (think the little one might be Peter Pan?!) Have had both of mine in pots for years, in fact the one that has just started to bloom is so pot bound it has cracked the pot! It is a lighter shade of blue than yours Gardengirl, I love em! Have never fed mine, or repotted them, they seem to be a plant that thrives on neglect  ;D But I do bring them into my unheated greenhouse inthe winter. DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2004, 20:57:53 »
Your garden is gorgeous Pat; I too am fascinated by your pond and the pebbled top, any chance of a closer look, as I may steal that idea from you. Do you think the pebbles would deter kids from climbing onto the edge?

Well done.

Roy

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2004, 23:20:21 »
EJ- I grow Cannas as borderline aquatics, in containers without holes and keep them well topped up with fertiliser and water. I think they look good underplanted with other aquatics and you never need to worry about them drying out (not that that has been a problem this year- flood watch again here tonight)!

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2004, 09:59:53 »
Roy - here is a close-up of the edge of the pond.  It has been in place now for quite a few years and seems to be holding up quite well, except in a couple of places where it may have to be re-done as it is coming away from the pond edge.  We just did it mainly to pretty it up and also to try to stop our cats from grabbing at the fish - the pebbles make it a bit more difficult for them to balance and grab :D

I asked my hub how he did it and here is the method:-

If you have a fibreglass pond - rough up the edge with sand paper.
Coat edge with Renderbond PVA.
3 in 1 mixture of cement with a small amount of black cement dye just to tone it down a bit.  
We also placed some small white chippings in the cement (a bit fiddley but it improves the look a bit).

As you can see we added a few holes in the edge for planting just to break it up and it looks quite good (my idea ;))  We did this by placing a 3 1/2 inch flower pot in to make the hole, and then took it out when the cement had set.

Hope this helps.

Pat
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 10:02:57 by Gardengirl »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2004, 10:15:52 »
Thanks Pat and to your Hubby for the quick reply and the receipe. ;)
Final question (honest) ???
Would these pebbles stand on a PVC liner resting on a single 4inch thick wall do you think? :-\

Cheers Roy ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2004, 10:23:45 »
Hi Roy - I have asked my hubby and he is of the opinion that he does not think this would work.  However, you could try cutting a few holes in the liner so you could get a fixing to the wall underneath - or cut the liner so that two inches covers the brick and two inches of the brick exposed.  

Good luck - and if it works - send us a photo :D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2004, 15:51:48 »
Thanks again Pat, :) I am tempted to try it as I do have quite a few med/large pebbles that made me think of copying your idea, someone else said to drill a few holes in the top of the wall and hammer in steel rods to key it in. Hmmm! food for thought. ???

Cheers Roy ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2004, 15:57:42 »
Funny you should mention about the steel rods Roy - my hubby did suggest drilling a few holes, put in rawlplugs and then put screws in about half way, but we thought this might be a bit too time consuming, but if you don't mind doing it that way go for it ;) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal