Author Topic: Our new neighbour doesn't like Trees!  (Read 4789 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Our new neighbour doesn't like Trees!
« on: May 31, 2008, 18:44:43 »

bridgehouse

• Acre
Re: Our new neighbour doesn't like Trees!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 20:12:54 »

Hi
I think they look lovely.
Are these trees yours, or your neighbors trees .
      Bridgehouse

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
  • Villa Villan and a two Lottie Nut
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 20:15:07 »
Well trees absorb Carbon Dioxide and omit Oxygen I love them and also they contribute to that comfy sheet in the lav ;D...Maybe your neighbour should re-think.

Cheers
Tony
Villa villan and a two lottie nut...

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 20:33:45 »
Tim, you need to look in the Daily Telegraph page 3 of Thursday 29th May, re the loophole in the law.  Where they are specimen trees, rather than a hedge, they are exempt.

Good luck with your efforts.

valmarg

PS, if you haven't got a copy of the article, I can send it to you.

valmarg

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 08:20:21 »
What exactly is your neighbour trying to do Tim? Are these his trees he's going to cut down?

Is he from Orkney? I always joke with my girlfriend who's from Orkney that she hates trees. She does have an odd attitude towards them, finding them claustrophobic because she's so used to the huge open treeless spaces up there. You should see an Orkney 'forest', its usually around 5 trees  :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 08:23:49 by sawfish »

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 10:08:37 »
But they are your trees aren't they Tim?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 10:00:26 »
Yes please, Valmarg - only get the w/e Tel.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 10:11:27 »
It's my understanding that the legislation only covers hedges that form a "continuous line"... so someone recently cut out the middle couple of trees in a hedge & hey presto, it became "some trees" instead - nothing the council could do... I suspect there may be better ways to get along with ones neighbours though!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 17:20:04 »
I'll remember that one!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 18:09:18 »
Oh dear Tim, let us hope they calm down, how can you possibly not like trees for heavens sake.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 18:15:28 »
First they need to talk to you to attempt to resolve the problem. If a resolution can't be agreed on then they have to inform you that they are approaching the council to try to get them to intervene. The trees will have to meet the criteria set out by the council here:
http://www.gloucester.gov.uk/Content.aspx?URN=3376
They will also have to pay an administrative fee of £330.75 before the council will take any action, as stated here:
http://www.gloucester.gov.uk/Content.aspx?URN=3593
If the council decide that the trees do meet all the criteria set out they can insist the trees are reduced in height but not to an extent where it is likely to kill the tree & they cannot insist that they are pruned to less than 2m or removed completely. If you fail to carry out any work the council insist on they will do it & send you the bill.
If the council decide the trees don't meet the criteria set out then they will just suggest your neighbour follows the advice in this leaflet:
http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/overgardenhedge

While your neighbour is wasting his time trying to do all that you go to the http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk forum & find out exactly what your rights are which should leave you in a position where you get to keep your trees but will probably fall out with the neighbour.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 18:34:14 »
He obviously wants to fall out with Tim, unfortunately. How many of those trees are evergreen or semi-evergreen?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 18:48:48 »
You say "new" neighbour, Tim. If the trees were that much of a problem, why did he choose to live there? If he didn't check out the aspect of the trees in relation to his house/view/sunlight etc then he's a moron.

They're lovely trees, but if they were blocking the light from a house I was buying, I would not buy that house.  Some people prefer shade, but those who don't like it should make sure they are not getting it when they buy their property.

Grrrrrr  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 18:56:17 »
valmarg, did you send that article? I have a copy sitting here beside me if not...

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 19:18:01 »
No OllieC, I haven't sent it because I'm no good at scanning and sending things :-[ :-[ :-[

If you can let Tim have a copy I'd much appreciate it.  I can of course post the article, snail mail.

valmarg

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 19:26:27 »

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 19:27:55 »
Even better, mr. Baccy!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 19:34:29 »
The only thing missing from the article on the telegraph web page is the picture, and I would have to say, by comparison, Tim's trees are 'dinky'.

Having said that, thanks for the link.

valmarg

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 19:43:58 »
Well - that's 1/2 an hour's work down the drain!! Try again. And replies are coming in faster than I can type!!

Thanks for some very succinct references - noted.
1. We've been here before, but I think that it's of general interest.
2. Dinky? The offending trees are 3 Evergreens, close together. 50 years old & 35'. They limit his pm sunshine but are 20' or so from his house.. That's the way the new houses were built 5 years ago. They are no greater nuisance than our other neighbour's garage! Chop that down?
3. He bought 'as is' but says they have grown since. Two years = 6"?
4. We have exchanged letters & have met over here. It is 6 months since he said he was 'taking advice'.
5. He is still a week-ender - doesn't move in for another year or so. Has contributed nothing to village life. I have no fear of offending.
6. So how much would he like cropped? 10% as the Council suggest? Would gain him nothing. 15'-20' would let in a bit of light. And kill the trees! I could offer to maintain them at the height as first seen. But it would cost me.
7. I like the idea of taking out one tree. He would be the one to suffer from our many grandchildren's play!!

Watch this space?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 19:51:19 by tim »

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 20:02:55 »
Tim,
You say that he has contributed nothing to your village and therefore you have no qualms about offending him. He lives in a newish built house next to yours,yes?
Can I respectfully ask if the building of that property/properties offended you and your established neighbours at the time? and if so could it be possible that somebody may have made this new family feel less than welcome perhaps and helped to bring about this unpleasantness.
It does seem strange that someone would buy a property and then decide to go to war with his neighbour over something that should have been considered before he spent his money.
If I am talking rubbish please say so as I have no wish to offend you or anybody else for that matter.
Gary.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal