Author Topic: Jersey Royal potatoes  (Read 2483 times)

neetbo

• Not So New ...
Jersey Royal potatoes
« on: May 27, 2008, 19:34:50 »
Bought some from the shops and they were lovely  8).  Got a few left and was wondering what would happen if I chitted them.  Would they grow? Would they taste as nice?  Has anybody ever tried this?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Jersey Royal potatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 19:40:24 »
Don't know but I am going shopping tomorrow to look for some, might not taste the same smothered in Bertolli instead of butter :-\ :)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 20:00:05 »
Ohhhhh! my favorites! one thing I miss!

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 20:03:56 »
Bought some from the shops and they were lovely  8).  Got a few left and was wondering what would happen if I chitted them.  Would they grow? Would they taste as nice?  Has anybody ever tried this?

I planted 2 rows of potatoes(Desiree)that I found in the cupboard.They had started to sprout so I chitted and them and planted them........those two rows are feeble compared with the other rows of proper seed potatoes I put in.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 20:08:38 »
zilch success with my shop bought chitted eating potatoes, I stick with the limited amount of varieties I can grow here  :(

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 20:15:08 »
If you get really fresh Jersey royals and boil them up in lightly salted water you can smell and taste the butter on them before you put any butter on.
The best new potato in my opinion and guess what! I haven't grown any :'(

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 20:21:21 »
Aren't they just International Kidney, but grown in Jersey?  ???
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 20:24:37 »
Yes they are but don't say "just" international kidney as if the are nothing special ;D ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 20:42:30 »
Gazfoz. I agree best ever!! Pity I am no longer allowed Salt or Butter, I could suffer without the butter but only if I could have the salt!!!!! When I cook them I always cook more than I can eat in 1 meal, next morning out would come the salt, sprinkling on cold pots. Sheer heaven!!!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 09:58:00 »
The answer lies in the soil (who was it who used to say that?)

The unique flavour of Jersey potatoes is from the soil.

There are a lot of delicious potatoes grown in various regions. There seems to be a knack of finding out which variety develops best in the soil in your area.

A neighbour of mine did keep, chit and grow Jersey Royals one year, although I never got to taste any his report was that they were very good but did not have the full flavour of the Jersey grown.

So, the answer to the question is, yes they can be kept and grown next year.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 11:49:48 »
Tesco sell "Jersey Royals" from Israel as well as from Jersey, so watch the label if you're buying from there.

I believe the unique taste comes from the seaweed they spread on the beds in Jersey.

But of course it all depends on the soil as well.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 12:28:25 »
I have bought "Jersey Royals" from Sainsbury's, Tesco's this year none of which taste like the Jerseys I remember. Waitrose ones where a bit better and M&S spot on. I have to say I never check country of origin for Jesreys as I thoght they couldn't be called this unless they were grown in Jersey - but will from now on. Thanks Asbean

And yes it must be the seaweed and the soil as I grew International kidney last year and was disappointed to find that they tasted just like normal new potatoes.

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
  • Villa Villan and a two Lottie Nut
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 12:34:35 »
I am growing Inernational Kidney from seed pots, a mate gave them to me for a trial in my non dig lotties. They seem to look ok at the moment, I will let you know the results.

Living right on the coast we bag up plenty of seaweed for our plots.

Cheers
Tony
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:36:50 by Need a Leek »
Villa villan and a two lottie nut...

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 23:34:56 »
I grew International Kidney in my plot a few years ago. Wouldn't bother again, they were very bland.
However, PKF do well as do Duke of Yorks.

In my soil and conditions, these two are far, far better. But that's just my opinion.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal