Author Topic: Washing machine door seal temporary repair needed.  (Read 24220 times)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Washing machine door seal temporary repair needed.
« on: May 26, 2008, 17:45:15 »
Found a tear in the washing machine door seal today which is causing it to leak quite badly. New seal is ordered but won't arrive for 3-5 days & my wife is very insistant that I make a temporary repair as she has loads of washing she wants do do right now. Asking her to leave it for a few days until the new seal arrives or mentioning handwashing results in lots of words that would never get past the swear filter on here or something being thrown at me.
Anyone got any ideas what I could use to patch it up with? Would gaffa tape do it? bearing in mind it's inside the machine so it's likely to get lots of soapy water on it.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
Re: Washing machine door seal temporary repair needed.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 17:53:43 »
Is gaffa tape waterproof, if not then would suggest two layers if gaffa tape with one layer of duct tape on top or you could try the weatherproof tape. But it does take a hell of a lot of vibration so it might fail.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 18:04:16 »
....looked in my files for a link to the DIY site I use as my Bible 8) but can't find it atm.....but...this is what I did once years ago, tip from that site.....

Removed seal & replaced so that the tear was at the top. Bought puncture repair kit and patched it.

Cost = pennies for the repair kit, £££s in the Hail Mary Swear Box struggling with the seal :o, but it worked & was still working when I bought the new seal.

Any use?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 18:06:14 by Alishka_Maxwell »

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 18:15:47 »
Removed seal & replaced so that the tear was at the top. Bought puncture repair kit and patched it.

Far too obvious to think of it myself. I guess I had better go & try it.
Thanks.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 18:16:03 »
Found it!

Unplug the machine from the electrical supply. Open the top of the washing machine, usually by a couple of small screws on the sides or rear.
If the leak is small and the machine only has another year to go, then consider what a friend did. He turned the seal so the leak was at the top, then used his kids cycle puncture repair outfit.
To replace the whole seal, make a simple mark on the rubber and the drum, so you know which way it fitted. Locate the outer sealing edge of the rubber seal. There may be a clamping strap which keeps the rubber seal in position over the drum. Unclip any clamp and slide off the rubber seal. Take particular notice how the inner seal fits inside the static part of the drum area. Inspect and decide if you want to rotate the seal so the leak is positioned to the top, hoping for a temporary repair. This also works if the door seal is leaking, with the leaky area repositioned at the top. This is useful as an emergency until a new replacement seal is available, especially if needing to do the washing on a daily basis.
The new seal is checked for position and the way it fits over both the inner and outer sealing ring areas. Take your time to coax it into position, and do not skimp checking that it has been fitted properly all the way around, especially at the bottom where it is harder to reach. Take your time and do it well. If necessary, lean the machine to one side and check from underneath, as this is where the water will try to find it's way out.
Cost is a bicycle puncture repair patch if skint, or a new seal for about a tenner.
Tools: Phillips screwdriver and possibly a pair of pliers.

Lishka

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 19:24:11 »
Sorted, appears to be working.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 20:11:45 »
Blimey, that was quick! ;D

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 20:17:01 »
I'm used to taking washing machines apart & the seal was still suprisingly flexible considering it is the original one on a 13 year old machine.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 20:30:06 »
Thank heavens we in North Staffs have T&G Electrics.  Swift, efficient and knowledgeable repairs.

Extended warranty we do not need.

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal