Author Topic: courgette flowers Help  (Read 1491 times)

compo49

• Half Acre
courgette flowers Help
« on: May 25, 2008, 19:23:28 »
my courgette plants in the g/house have all got plenty of flowers on and i have checked them but they look like all male at the moment (no bulbing at rear)seen Tee Gee's slide show!  will they get female ones soon so they will pollinate to get courgettes? is there anything i can do to encourage them like feeding with tomato feed? i have green bush and gold rush .1st time grower of them . am going to put them outside v/soon as their getting too big for pots.

Lucho

• Not So New ...
Re: courgette flowers Help
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 19:29:48 »
I usually find that early in the season courgettes produce many more male flowers than female. Someone more learned may know more, but I suggest it's just a question of time. As soon as the weather warms up and the season progresses a little bit there should be plenty of female flowers coming along and you'll have more courgettes than you know what to do with  :).

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:45:56 »
my courgette plants in the g/house have all got plenty of flowers on and i have checked them but they look like all male at the moment (no bulbing at rear)seen Tee Gee's slide show!  will they get female ones soon so they will pollinate to get courgettes? is there anything i can do to encourage them like feeding with tomato feed? i have green bush and gold rush .1st time grower of them . am going to put them outside v/soon as their getting too big for pots.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:44:15 »
is there anything i can do to encourage them like feeding with tomato feed?

Tomato feed is used to swell the fruit once it's set, not promote flowers. Give it time, once the plants are bigger and in full growth you should get plenty of females.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal