Author Topic: Broken courgette  (Read 2400 times)

ladybizzy

• Not So New ...
Broken courgette
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:23:48 »
A few weeks ago my dog jumped on one of my potted up courgettes and snapped it at the base of the stalk.....I couldn't bear to throw it away so popped it in a glass of water on the windowsill  :)  To my surprise it is still really healthy and has started growing some roots off the stem.  My question is - what shall I do next?  I'm scared to re plant it in case I kill it, but I don't suppose it can stay in water for ever can it?  Advice would be really appreciated, thanks!

betula

• Hectare
Re: Broken courgette
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:27:18 »
Maybe wait till roots are longer and then replant :)

ladybizzy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 16:31:02 »
Thanks, I will wait a bit longer and then see if it can be rescued  :)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 21:00:03 »
so glad you posted this as I repotted one of my courgettes & mishandled it abit, I heard a cruch & fear I may have damaged the stem  :-\ I was feeling really gutted but have some hope now that I may be able to save it. Hope all goes well with yours...I will be very interested to hear how it progresses.

PJW_Letchworth

• Half Acre
    • the allotment - plot 36a
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 00:42:58 »
I think courgette plants are tougher than often given credit for.

I had 4 in my small zip-up greenhouse and they got very badly scorched in the sun about a month ago.  Some of the leaves went crispy!  I cut these off, gave them a really good watering and Hey! Presto!, they've recovered really well.
"I will be really pleased when I've had enough of this"

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 03:44:20 »
Last year two of my winter squash had partially snapped stems (i.e snapped 3/4 of the way through) - mice got into the cold frame to get at the sweetcorn and squash got in the way. I planted them anyway and still got good fruit from them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal