Author Topic: NOT flea beetle - Cabbage seed weevil + good website  (Read 2100 times)

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
NOT flea beetle - Cabbage seed weevil + good website
« on: July 28, 2004, 10:59:54 »
Thanks to bayer I have discovered that I do not have flea beetles - I have cabbage seed weevils.  Equally evil but I think harder to kill! Anyway I found this great website with pictures of all the evil creatures that will attack our crops and thought you might like it.
http://www.pestspotter.co.uk/pests/pests.htm
It shows pictures of all the beasties and I found it very useful.  On another note - does anyone know what might kill these evil weevils? Growmore, would your bug clear do the trick???
Thanks,
Piglit
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 11:00:34 by piglit »
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:NOT flea beetle - Cabbage seed weevil + good website
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 11:16:39 »
Thought it a bit strange when you said you had swarms of them! Site noted. = Tim

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 11:21:41 »
They jump like fleas and so I just assumed - never seen a flea beetle before! Their primary food source is Oil seed rape and my house backs onto a field of OSR which has just been harvested... not good.  How many more will be coming my way?? And I don't think I can buy anything to kill them as it is agricultural grade stuff that is used.  Bummer.  I guess I will have to stick to courgettes and tomatoes which they don't seem to find so tasty!
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 11:29:10 »
And the b....y rape gives everyone 'hayfever' as well!! = Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal