Author Topic: what can you do?  (Read 1860 times)

cliffe.kent

• Not So New ...
what can you do?
« on: May 20, 2008, 22:14:13 »
I was awoken today by a plotholder who reported our site had been targeted by theives. Every shed smashed and wheelbarrows gone, as were spades forks etc., no one had anything of particular value but what lengths these idiots went to, they obviously had transport and a good time in demolishing in one case over 40 years of accumulated allotment bits and bobs. The police fortunately took us seriously and we had three officers on site in a couple of hours as well as a scene of crimes chap this afternoon. But why do these idiots do it, it probably cost them more in petrol (unless that was nicked as well ) than the value of things stolen. The police although helpful, as we all know have much more serious issues to address. It feels as though we are back to the beginning after clearing and regenerating the site. I can't accept it is just the way of the world nowadays, petty mindless crime impacting on innocent people enjoying a tradional pusuit. So be warned the car boot sales season has begun so lock up those sheds and lock down those sites.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: what can you do?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 22:17:54 »
sorry to hear about the mindless idiots, hope you can all recover okay..
I'm thinking of painting the handles on mine bright green, make it easier to spot at the car boots

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 00:03:33 »
Good idea Mal. Sorry to hear your news CK. Gave up mending the lock on my shed, now I reckon there will be less damage if I leave it unlocked. It would be a nuisance to lose anything but it's all old and bent anyhow. I bring the good stuff home.
Smile, it confuses people.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 00:47:11 »
Im really sorry this has happened to you Cliffe.kent  :'(
I hope it doesnt put you off you allotment.
Is there anyway your local council could be persuaded to install high strong metal fences with padlocked gates? It does make it feel abit like a fortress but our site doesnt have break ins since the boundaries have been strongly fenced. Mind you the yobs now chuck water bombs at us at times & also rocks onto our crops  ::) but at least our sheds & tools are safe 

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 20:53:47 »
Good grief what is the matter with these young people? They must lead very boring lives if this is how they get their kicks.
Smile, it confuses people.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 18:25:42 »
My dad would say they were brain dead.  I dispair.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 18:30:00 »
Makes me so angry >:(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal