Author Topic: Weather forecast  (Read 3772 times)

john_miller

• Hectare
Weather forecast
« on: July 28, 2004, 01:09:27 »
About 18 months ago I mentioned that we were having a hard winter. Tim then made the observation that the weather we get here generally gets to the U.K. about ten days later. I've been reading many comments this summer about the amount of rain the U.K. has been having (although not with Tim still?) which is exactly the same as over here. For this area it has been extremely wet (which just means that we haven't had a drought) but now it is getting very wet. It has been raining all day, it is pouring presently and we have flood watches overnight. Albany (about 40 miles west of me), the state capital of New York, has had 10 cm of rain in about 24 hours with more to come over the next 3 days. I imagine that the U.K. will be getting this lot late next week.
We have also been very cool- in July (our hottest month) we average 3 days above 30C (two years ago we had 21 consecutive days) but this year we have had none and our high tomorrow is predicted to be only 18C and be 'fall' like. Not much warmer the rest of the week either. Sorry to give such bad news.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 01:24:29 by john_miller »

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re:Weather forecast
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 07:31:15 »
Oh no! I so do hope you're wrong this time John, I thought the summer had finally returned this week, I don't want it to go so quickly.  :'(  So long as the bad weather is gone within a week as I'm away on holiday to Cornwall in two weeks time and it would be really nice to have some sunny weather, it's not so fun building sandcastles in the rain!  :-\
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 11:29:01 »
Four week met office forecast -don't look Jesseveve :)

http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/outlook/index.html

Jeremy.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 11:59:32 »
 :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'( Jeremy!
We are off to the great British seaside the week of the 14th, please let it be sunny!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 12:43:27 »
For me, plenty of rain please John, but only between the hours of 10pm and 5am.  Do you think you could swing that for me?  Glorious sunshine the rest of the time would be marvelous.  I will leave that in your capable hands John.  ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 14:44:00 »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

DP I'm also away on the 14th, maybe we should ask Ozzy to do his sunshine dance for us. Or maybe EJ's wish will be granted and we'll get rain only between 10pm and 5pm, hope you've got a really generous fairy godmother EJ!  ;D
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 12:13:14 »
Long term forecast for the rest of the british summer isnot good. Definetly NO repeat of last August. Still its nice at the moment here in Dorset. Makes a change to see the sun after all those dull (but dry) days!

Dont know about anyone else, but i prefer cloud AND rain or Sunny and dry, not cloudy and dry.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 14:32:15 »
Personally I want a bit of wind -although the wife would say I've got plenty ;D

Jeremy

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 17:21:34 »
If you want to know what the weather will not be like, check your local reporting station. Ours is Moreton-in-Marsh.

I mentioned elsewhere that we had 1.25" in 20 mins t'other day! = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 17:34:29 »
It is official.  My water butt is empty so I would lurve some rain tonite please  ;D

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 18:10:39 »
Me too please (water tonight), but hold back Saturday evening as we're having a barbie...OK? Ta, CL  ;)

PS Tim...you know Moreton gets different weather to us....practically 'abroad' !!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 18:12:07 by CotswoldLass »

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 18:35:04 »
We frequently dont get weather forecast for us. Usualy places only a few miles away get it but not here. Further north/east/west (delete as apropriate!) Dorchester seems to get weather all of its own somethimes.

Take today. the general forecast was for hot sunshine. We got a bit this morning (not what id call hot though) the rest of the day we've been shrouded in cloud  ::)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 22:09:24 »
WE HAVE RAIN!!

......of course, I've just put the hose away...teeeheeee.... ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 11:03:03 »
Nice - wasn't it!! = Tim

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 12:13:00 »
Indeed Tim! Can we have that every night?  ;)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2004, 16:40:14 »
Oh I wish we would have some.  My peas are like mange tout and I fear they will never swell.  My beetroots are flagging, and my lettuce looks thirsty!  The garden is fine, kids in paddling pool with the sprinkler on, water everywhere, garden is green and lush, but the allotment.....it is begining to look like a desert!  :'(

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2004, 17:54:10 »
Lucky devils aremt they EJ? Nothing but a few spots here last night. Barely enough to damp the dust  :(

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2004, 22:57:05 »
How come with all this dry weather the weeds are still doing so well? I now have bindweed where the couch was, two forms of self sowing spinach and heaven knows what other things I definitely didn't plant! They've got too big to hoe and it's too dry to pull them

Having said that - no rain tomorrow please, off to Kew Gardens to picnic with friends, then take their tree-top walk! ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2004, 23:01:59 »
Ooo Lovely HB, haven't been to Kew for years!

I have to agree with the weeds, and who planted all of this spinach?  The spinach I sowed bolted or withered and died; the self sown spinach is growing big and strong and lovely!  Old Jack has just sowed green manure and it is up within days, not a drop of water.  His lettuce that he sowed weeks back, not a thing!  There is no justice in this gardening lark!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal