Author Topic: What's happening to my Sweet Potatoes?  (Read 963 times)

PJW_Letchworth

• Half Acre
    • the allotment - plot 36a
What's happening to my Sweet Potatoes?
« on: May 19, 2008, 22:21:21 »
I think I need help, or more importantly my sweet potatoes do.

They have sprouted really well and the parent potato has a great root system.  The shoots have got to about 2 1/2" so I decided to pot one of them on.  I thumbed the slip off, put it in new compost and them put a plastic bag over the pot.  That was a week or so ago and I'm pleased it has rooted and I have taken the bag off.   :)

A few of the other shoots were big enough to pot on so I decided to do these this weekend but disaster has struck! :o  I did exactly what I did with the first one but both of these have wilted and look like they'll be on the compost heap before long.  The pots are on my kitchen window sill which is south facing and gets nice and warm.

Please help!
"I will be really pleased when I've had enough of this"

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: What's happening to my Sweet Potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 22:43:26 »
My method is to remove the shoot carefully from the potato with a sliver of the skin attached.  Then I put the shoot into a jar of water and it produces roots inside a week.  Then I pot it up, no bag.  Seems to work for me!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 01:59:30 »
I just don't know why folks have so much trouble rooting these weeds? Maybe you're too kind.

Here's a few in 2 litre pots waiting for their final growing positions with many more still in 3 and a bit pots.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:21:30 »
I had these for the first time ever yesterday... Didn't realise how nice they were. Is it too late to start some off?
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 08:23:44 »
haven't got my slips from the organic gardening  catalogue yet so there may be time, if you buy some  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 19:35:29 »
Mine haven't landed from T+M yet... given the frost warnings I don't want them to........  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal