Author Topic: Lillies from seed?  (Read 1584 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Lillies from seed?
« on: July 24, 2008, 18:37:34 »
 Difficulties, time-scale to flowering, worth the bother?Just wondering, is orl.

Thanks.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Lillies from seed?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 19:15:32 »
I'm trying it right now.  Bought some seeds on eBay, just described as fragrant lilies.  Sowed in normal seed compost, put in the (open) mini-greenhouse.  Germinated quickly and good success rate.  Pricked out and now growing on in pots.  No real difficulties so far.  Flower next year?  I'm just trying it because I want a cheap source of lots of lilies!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 19:22:58 »
Thanks! OK then, I'll give them a go 8) and let's see how we get on, OK?

Lishka

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 22:12:07 »
Everything depends on what lily it is. They have every different method of germination known, so if they don't come up at once, be patient, for a couple of years at least, before you chuck the pot out. They'll probably take a few years to reach flowering size.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 23:15:01 »
Aha, spotted this post and wondered the same, sort of. The thing is, I have a really strikingly coloured reddish lily and this year there are sprouting bulbils (if thats the right term) along the stem. Was going to wait until they fell off of their own accord, then plant them in pots to grow on.
Would this be the right thing to do? Or should I detach them now? will they be ok outside over winter, or do they need shelter or heat?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 08:22:49 »
Lilies from bulbils are easier than from seed. Just take them off the plant when they begin to fall naturally. Sow them in a deep pot in ordinary seed compost, about half an inch deep. They do not need any heat, but they are better protected from the worst of the weather. I keep them in a cold frame over winter. Lilies take about 5 years from seed (the smallest kinds) up to 7 years. Bulbils knock about 2 years off that process. However, Lilies which grow from bulbils can become real weeds in the garden. And if you plants have any viruses then the virus will be carried by the bulbils, but seed is usually virus free.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 09:22:29 »
Another quick way, if your plants don't have virus, is by scaling. Lift a bulb, and break off a few scales. Put them in slightly damp peat or vermiculite (I'm sure there are organic equivalents) in a warm place, and over a few weeks they'll grow mini bulbs at the bottom of the scales, which can be potted up and grown on.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 23:04:01 »
Thanks for that info, will have a go with the bulbils and see how it goes. All my lilies except daylilies are grown in pots, so becoming a weed won't be a problem.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal