Author Topic: Basil  (Read 1444 times)

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
Basil
« on: May 27, 2008, 21:04:22 »
We bought a load of herbs to plant in the garden and tehy are all doing remarkably well apart from the Basil.It is getting eaten alive.I have a herb book and it says most insects don't like basil.

It's strange to me as basil is such a strong herb you'd think they go for rosemery or lemon tyme maybe

Anyone know what likes basil and how i can stop them.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Basil
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 22:40:36 »
It'll be slugs/snails.  I don't know where you got your herb book from but it doesn't sound very reliable.  Stopping them is another matter.  There's lots of advice on here but I prefer an organic method.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:09:36 »
Can't grow mine outdoors anyway!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:27:15 »
The torch and boot method, on a warm damp evening like last night is the most effective..  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:27:34 »
27 snails taken from the greenhouse today, one was sat on the black basil having a wonderful time  :o
the weather's perfect for the little sods  >:(
still, they're easier to pick off than slugs  ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:40:47 »
Someone wrote the other day (forget who) that you could pick the tops off supermarket basil, root them in water, and pot them up. And keep doing that all year, thus making one bought pot last for months.

Who has done that? I've had my basil tops in water for a four or five days now without a root showing yet.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:53:58 »
I do that with my own seed-grown basil.  Never had any problems getting it rooted.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 13:28:40 »
That's encouraging - I'll persevere. I've done very badly with outside basil. Slugs eat it, it bolts and withers and vanishes.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 14:24:46 »
Someone wrote the other day (forget who) that you could pick the tops off supermarket basil, root them in water, and pot them up. And keep doing that all year, thus making one bought pot last for months.

Who has done that? I've had my basil tops in water for a four or five days now without a root showing yet.

when you find out i would like to know as ive done the same thing last night as a result of reading it on here somewhere could you let me know somehow

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 15:03:40 »

when you find out i would like to know as ive done the same thing last night as a result of reading it on here somewhere could you let me know somehow

This was the posting by Valmarg.    :)

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,41930.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal